Driving deaths in Ireland

true...but i would say they a lot more experienced than any of the posters on this forum, thats why they sit in judgement and we do not!

You're suggesting that a person in a job is always the best person to do that job. Can't agree. Life just isn't that simple.

There seems to a problem with inconsistent sentencing. making excuses for the judges isn't the solution anyway.

sentencing is not consistent because cases are not consistent...no two cases have the same details.

Consistent doesn't mean identical. You can have variation and still be consistent. Thats whats lacking. The punishment doesn't fit the crime in so many cases.

No idea. I just think that theres too many inconsistencies in sentencing. Thats really all I've got to say on it.

You're suggesting that a person in a job is always the best person to do that job. Can't agree. Life just isn't that simple.
You're suggesting that armchair experts on bulletin boards know more about doing a difficult job than those who have spent a professional lifetime preparing for that role. Can't agree. Life just isn't that simple.

You're suggesting that armchair experts on bulletin boards know more about doing a difficult job than those who have spent a professional lifetime preparing for that role. Can't agree. Life just isn't that simple.

I never "suggested" anything. I was very specfic, and didn't propose anyone could do it better other than saying the judges themselves could be more consistent. IMO it weakens your point, (what point are you making) by misquoting and copying other comments. You don't always need years of experience to see when mistakes are made. In any profession.

I have personal experience with close family members being involved in road death's, Person A: who was driving and passenger got killed when car veered off road and hit wall, He accepted full responsibility for what happened Pleaded Guilty in court,would accept any punishment they wanted to give him, anything to relive the sorrow, the pain he caused this family and our family, he didn't go out for to do such a thing, it ended with him been disqualified for a number of years and fined for careless driving causing death of which it was, He was careless when accident happened. He has to live with it for ever, maybe a jail sentence would have helped ease the pain for him.
Person B: who was driving a truck and cut across in front of brother in laws car and he got killed, he didn't get sentencing either. He actually fought it in court He never apologized to our family and this was the hardest to accept, but still he lost his license, his job, and he might feel sorrow now, he had a young family and his wife was the one we felt sorry for,She looked ashamed of him in court, but still he didn't go out to do such a thing. I believe a jail sentience would do no good in these cases only turn people into criminals, there is enough sorrow and bereavement in road deaths and sitting in a cell what good would it do.

So are you suggesting that we should not question the judgement of those making big decisions. Are we not all lambasting the govt over the budget and making them change their judgements even though we are armchair experts and they have spent a professional lifetime preparing for their role. It is simply not acceptable to have people in roles that have such a huge baring on society to not be accountable for their decisions.

It is simply not acceptable to have people in roles that have such a huge baring on society to not be accountable for their decisions.

i taught judges were accountable for their decisions,,,,,also most cases are open to appeal by the parties conserned.

i taught judges were accountable for their decisions,,,,,also most cases are open to appeal by the parties conserned.

I'm sure they are accountable to their peers, but the 'ordinary people' are right to question their judgement at times, the appeals process is there alright in some cases adding further time and money to cases. I think we are getting away from the point now anyway. My argument is simply that judges have too often shown little consistency in sentancing.

So are you suggesting that we should not question the judgement of those making big decisions.
I'm suggesting that we should do some recent research (beyond reading a couple of Herald headlines) before lashing out criticisms.

If you can call driving on a daily basis research, I've done plenty and every day I see examples of dangerous driving which amaze me.

There is little fear of loosing your license no matter how you drive and I don't feel the courts are doing enough to deter these drivers.

Within 15 minutes of getting into the car this morning I saw a bus force its way through a junction, overtaking at speed on a continuous white line in a 50KM zone and running a red light at a 4-way junction.

I don't read the Herald BTW:p

Back