Don't use1850 & 1890 if you wish to keep your caller ID private. Overrides settings!

Moral Ethos

Never call these numbers if you wish to keep your caller ID private. These numbers allow the companies to see your caller ID regardless of your individual settings.

If you need to withhold your number ring the standard numbers instead.

These Lo Call numbers really, really bug me too

For Social Welfare ring their head office at 01-7043000 to be connected to Sligo, Longford etc

The main point I am making is that whilst 1800 numbers may be free to call, the company is getting valuable information about the caller which they may wish to withhold from the company being called.

How do you set it up so that you can see caller IDs?
I've just tried this with our freephone number (1800), and my mobile. It says 'Private caller' for the caller ID.

I've just checked a few of our bills, but we don't have it itemised, just call summary.

What you suggest is very interesting. We are paying for all of these calls so it does make sense that we should know where the calls are coming from.

I can't prove or disprove it unless I see an itemised bill though.

When dialling from a landline, prefix 141 before the number you are calling. This hides your information. Thus, for example, to call 087 1234567 from a landline, you dial 171 087 123456. Try phoning your mobile from your landline using this method.

*** It definitely works from Eircom landlines; I have no idea whatsoever if it works from other providers landlines.*****

EDITED

Last edited:
I guess that service providers get a list of incoming numbers as part of their bill to allow them to verify the bill itself. I wonder if this is compliant with Data Protection law? Would anyone who has good knowledge and understanding of this issue care to raise it with the Data Protection Commissioner?

Certainly, if they were to use the numbers on the incoming calls for any other purpose (e.g. to call you back), they would be breaking the law.

Well I have now confirmed at MBNA are harvesting numbers. They rang today on a number I have never given them. I did call them from a totally unconnected mobile a few months ago. They could not have obtained the number by any other means.

Back