Dont let the shopkeeper check your lotto ticket

U

Unregistered

Something disturbing happened to me this morning.

I usually get 6 lines in the lotto. I tick the 8 Draws box so that the ticket is valid for the month. This saves me having to remember to get a new ticket twice a week.

Normally i miss the draws so ask the shopkeeper to check it in the machine and have been doing this for over a year.

This morning the shopkeeper ran it through the machine and it said 'not a winner'. I ran it through the self service machine on the counter myself and it said 'not a winner.

Now i checked this ticket last week against the draw on tv and got 3 numebr + the bonus number which gives me €20.

So i took out last weeks numbers and checked again in the shop. Yep, i had won, but the machine yet again said 'Not a winner'.

I think the problem is that the machine only compares the numbers from the last draw and therefore will not viladate a winning ticket which was for 8 draws and had won in a previous draw.

I feel i have wasted my money for over a year.
Beware.

My experience is that the self service checker works even if the ticket goes back a number of draws. I think you should raise the matter with the National Lottery Company because I think they would be very anxious to be aware of any glitches that your experience suggests might be in their systems.

Crunchie said:
My experience is that the self service checker works even if the ticket goes back a number of draws. I think you should raise the matter with the National Lottery Company because I think they would be very anxious to be aware of any glitches that your experience suggests might be in their systems.

I think you are right. I would often save up lotto slips for weeks at a time and then check them all (when I finally remember!!) using the instore checker. It seems to have no problem telling me on those all too rare occasions when I have won something...

I would refer it to the Fraud Squad if you are sure you can replicate this glitch that systematically stops Winners from claiming their Winnings , have you tried it in another shop and have you double checked the numbers on lotto.ie and also ensured that the Bar Code is intact (not scuffed or marked , it is thermal paper after all )

can you key the numbers under the barcode in manually, if you are still rejected having done that then its off to the Fraud Squad I would go .

and don't forget Joe Duffy once the police are on the case :)

It amazes me that people want to check their lotto numbers in the shop, are they going to start whooping and screaming if they find out they win? They hold up a que when all they have to do is check 150 on aertel, check the papers, listen to the news, web etc... lazy tools with their pipe dreams, wha.

I cehcked in another shop and the machine got it right.
I had indeed won some money.
I suspect the shop assistant visually checked the numbers against only this weeks draw. Can't be sure though.

Back