Does time in public service in EU count?

Broadcaster

My son in law is currently employed in a public service job in Germany (10 years)and is considering applying for a similar position in ireland. However, all public service ads indicate he would start at the lowest entry salary. Does anyone know if his service in the PS in Germany is taken into account. If not, it appears he would be working at an entry level which given his experience and qualifications wouldn't be viable.

I moved from a public sector job at a University in Northern Ireland to a civil service job in the Republic of Ireland and they took my existing experience into account so that I didn't have to start at the very bottom of the scale.

O, that's really helpful Poundman.
It wouldn't be worth my son in law's while applying if he has to start at the bottom. He's highly qualified and has several years experience, so not recognising those doesn't make sense. Thanks again.

Saw it for someone I know in a health profession in the UK applying here. Suggested starting salary counted all his service in the UK.

From what I've seen, it is possible to negotiate starting on a second incremental point based on previous experience. But overall I don't think Irish public service recruitment is based around attracting the best external talent at the expense of promotional opportunities for internal candidates.

From what I've seen, it is possible to negotiate starting on a second incremental point based on previous experience. But overall I don't think Irish public service recruitment is based around attracting the best external talent at the expense of promotional opportunities for internal candidates.
I know that jobs are usually advertised internally first and if the organisation believes they need someone with special skills, they then go outside to attract talent. However so many of the PS jobs have a note regarding starting at entry level salary scale. Very off-putting for those with extra skills.

However so many of the PS jobs have a note regarding starting at entry level salary scale.
Yes indeed many will state that starting point of the scale only is allowed.

I know of a case recently where this was rigidly adhered to and the successful candidate declined the offer (civil service).

I don’t know how things work in the health service.

My son in law is currently employed in a public service job in Germany (10 years)and is considering applying for a similar position in ireland. However, all public service ads indicate he would start at the lowest entry salary. Does anyone know if his service in the PS in Germany is taken into account. If not, it appears he would be working at an entry level which given his experience and qualifications wouldn't be viable
There’s no reciprocal arrangement across the EU whereby time spent in one EU public sector state counts in another for the purposes of starting pay, pension accrual etc.

When public sector jobs are advertised, the pay range that will apply over the lifetime of employment in the grade will be shown. If it is made explicit that starting salary will be at the lowest point, I wouldn’t be optimistic of any departure from this position.

If there is any scope for starting salary to be determined by reference to qualifications and experience, this would normally be outlined in the material provided in advance.

Back