Does the ptsb decision apply to other lenders as well?

shay whelan

Would this judgement also apply to other banks? I had a similar experience with Ulster Bank where I switched my tracker to a fixed rate and was not told I could not return to the tracker. I did complain to them and was treated very rudely at the time

Hi shay, I am in a similar situation as you re Ulster Bank. I called the central bank today to ask if other banks implicated and was advised that as yet only PTSB involved. But perhaps if more customers of other banks called it might lead to further investigation?

Have a look at some of the other discussions in here re UB fixed/tracker issues. The financial services ombudsman may be an option for you, but having been unsuccessful in my own case I would advise getting help from someone like Padraic Kissane (posts on here as Padkiss) as it can be a soul destroying process on your own.

shay whelan

This judgement only applies to PTSB. If you are in a similiar situation with Ulster Bank, do not sit on your laurels, act now. I've just recently won my tracker back from Ulster Bank by the skin of my teeth (6 year rule was almost up in my case). I used the services of Padraig Kissane (Padkiss) as I didn't want to risk an unsuccessful case with the FSO if Ulster Bank went against me.

Well done Diver.

While this is a climbdown by the PTSB, if you have a similar situation with any other bank the FO is going to agree with you. That is clear.

Anyone in this situation needs to act now. Just send a letter today to your bank, that keeps it 'open' and like Miakk and Diver mentioned, best of all to hire an advisor to help you. It is not easy. The advisor will of course have to be paid, but I imagine most will only take the case if a) you have a good chance and b) on the basis that they don't get paid unless you get your tracker back.

Bronte I woudlnt think anyone would take something like that on the basis of point B. There's a lot of work in it regardless of whether you get it back or not.

Back