Does my salary compare well?

salary

I know lots of people that work in different industries and jobs and the average salary would be well less than 26000 per year. No wonder everything has got so expensive in Ireland and no wonder we are pricing ourselves out of the market.

average

Hi,

As I mentioned before I am still in college (at night) I have asked others in my class at the same stage as me and for the workload, responsibilty etc. I am at the bottom of the pay scale (by a couple of thousand). (albeit those in practise do earn less).

And what is frustrating is.....even though I have been in college for a number of years studying ACCA and working fulltime during the day trying to get gain experience, a friend of mine who has no previous accounts experience, and worked in sales up to now has recently being given a position in a company (similiar size) looking after the day to day with less responsibility with a remuneration package of €30500, with expenses of max €500pm.

Perhaps I am in the wrong company!

Re: salary

I know lots of people that work in different industries and jobs and the average salary would be well less than 26000 per year.

Be that as it may, the latest Department of Finance economic bulletin states that:

Average weekly industrial earnings in June 2003 were €537.19.

which is just short of €28K annualised.

www.finance.gov.ie/viewdo...DocID=1782

Re: salary

It's not surprising that many people earn less than the average wage. If no one earned less than this, it wouldn't be an average.

BTW I think accountants are now more personally liable for the implications of their company's decisions and the accuracy of information supplied than previously was thought to be the case due to more stringent corporate governance. (Thankfully I am not an accountant, so I don't know for sure!) I do know that if I was expected to carry personal responsibility for this sort of thing, I would certainly expect to be well renumerated for it.

Hi Firsttime,

"I am 27 y/old part qualified ACCA, with three exams to go (hopefully to get this june)" and "When I started in the company (2 years ago) I did think alot of stage in the finance dept. but the Fin Director is in name only he works in sales travelling around USA!!!! The Fin controller on was only part time and couldnt cope so they employed me...so I am more or less running the show! I deal directly with the external Auditors and I havent had more then a text message from the Fin Director since Aug 2003! She (fin Dir) doesnt come to any meetings with the Auditor and I do all the bookkeeping and bring the accounts to trail bal stage for the auditor etc etc. "

I have worked with many accountants both qualified and part-qualified over the years and IMHO your best bet would be to concentrate on completing your studies (not easy I would agree) and then if at all possible make a move. The co. does not appear to have their act together and certainly do not appear to give their staff 100% support.

If you feel that you can manage financially until you qualify (hopefully June) it might be as well to motor along as you are or have you considered approaching the Fin Director to emphasise your heavier workload and how near you are to qualifying. Its up to you at the end of the day to decide what you are most comfortable with.

It would appear that you are young and enthusiastic and have the ability. Go for it while age is on your side. Best of luck with the studies and remember a positive frame of mind goes a long way. :)

Exams...

Hi Firsttime,

I agree with Sueellen 100%.

I've seen many excellent part-qualified accountants fail their exams time and time again.

They get too sucked into their work and forget about study/lectures etc.

Pass the exams in June then go in to your boss with your guns blazing...

Balthazar

Back