Does anyone remember the name of a Leaving Cert English Prose book -early 80's?

Discussion in 'Shooting the Breeze' started by AgathaC, Dec 16, 2008.

1. AgathaC

AgathaC Frequent Poster

I am trying to track down an English prose book which was on for the Leaving Cert course in the early/mid 80's and possibly before that. It had essays by various writers and one in particular I would like to re-read was about New Year's Eve.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

2. DavyJones

DavyJones Frequent Poster

I had one in the mid 90's called Soundings. Have tired to get it since but with no luck.

3. woodbine

woodbine Frequent Poster

was it exploring english? there were three of them, one poetry, one prose and the other short stories.

maybe they were for the inter cert though?

soundings... didn't that have a white and green cover?

and if you google soundings there are loads of people looking for a copy. :D

4. di74

di74 Frequent Poster

Soundings was a poetry book... don't remember a prose book.... Inter Cert had Exploring English 1,2, & 3... one was poetry, another prose and last one of short stories..

5. di74

di74 Frequent Poster

Posted same time as Woodbine.....

6. Pee

Pee Frequent Poster

Soundings and Exploring English were the same book for poetry.

7. shesells

shesells Frequent Poster

OT I know but Soundings is one of those books to last a lifetime. In the mid 90s I used my uncle's copy from the early seventies! All those notes were a lifesaver!

8. Ann1

Ann1 Frequent Poster

Google "New Years Eve" by Charles Lambe might be the one you are looking for.

9. Dreamerb

Dreamerb Frequent Poster

No they weren't. As Di74 and Woodbine say, the three Exploring English books were for Inter Cert; Soundings was the Leaving Cert poetry anthology (which I sold after the LC, only to purchase a new copy a few years later - it really was a fantastic book).

10. Caveat

Caveat Frequent Poster

AgathaC, I bet it was The Art of English C4.

C'mon - am I right or am I right??

11. gipimann

gipimann Frequent Poster

If I recall the book was just called "an anthology of prose", it had a dark blue cover and was a very thick book (with very thin paper!). The book was compiled and printed specifically for Leaving Cert and matriculation exams. Might even still have it lurking about in an attic somewhere - will have a look tonight and report back!

12. gillarosa

gillarosa Frequent Poster

Def 'Soundings' there were two, one was poetry and the other prose.

13. ClubMan

ClubMan Frequent Poster

Wasn't New vistas in English by any chance?

14. PM1234

PM1234 Frequent Poster

I'm almost sure it was Soundings. Exploring English was the one with short stories from Frank O Connor etc

15. MeathCommute

MeathCommute Frequent Poster

I remember that one alright. I did my Leaving in 1983 and honours English was a torturous experience !

16. gipimann

gipimann Frequent Poster

Update!
    I have the copy of the prose book I mentioned earlier in front of me (ok, I know, I'm a hoarder!).
    It's called "New Senior Prose - Matriculation and Leaving Certificate Prose" and was edited/compiled by James J Carey B.A., H.D.E. (to give the full title!).

And as Ann1 correctly identified earlier, the story in the book which fits the description is "New Year's Eve" by Charles Lambe.

Sorry, I don't have a copy of Soundings, as I had the alternative (cheaper!) book printed by Folens!!

17. woodbine

woodbine Frequent Poster

well after all this wink and elbow language of delightful english chat i had to go check my bookshelves where i was surprised by joy to find a lovely copy of Soundings that i remembered buying at a car boot sale a few years ago.

now i just need an hour spare to enjoy it. there will be time, there will be time....

:D

18. AgathaC

AgathaC Frequent Poster

Thanks a million everyone, that's the one alright gipimann! I did read the piece online suggested by Ann1 so I am happy with that. I doubt if I would ever find the book to buy but at least now I know the name. Thanks again everyone-lots of good memories of the various books mentioned.

19. Pee

Pee Frequent Poster

I'm fairly sure that Soundings and the poetry edition of Exploring English were for the same course, my brother was a year ahead of me and he had a new EE book and I had a handmedown copy of Soundings, which was great at it had notes on each of the poems that generally helped with homework and exams.:D

20. Dreamerb

Dreamerb Frequent Poster

Exploring English 1, 2 and 3 (edited by Augustine Martin) were absolutely definitely inter cert textbooks. It's possible that there were later books in the series for Leaving Cert but I didn't encounter those.

But you may be referring to the new "Exploring English" series? If you're too young to have done the Inter Cert (as opposed to the Junior Cert, I mean, rather than suggesting you're about 14!), then we're probably just talking at cross-purposes.