Does a gift form part of an estate

Yannis

Could someone please advise me. I received a gift of €15,000 from my mother in 2010. My mother passed away last year and her Will states that everything she left in cash was to be divided equally between me and my 2 sisters and it makes no reference to the €15,000 gift I received. Her estate at the time of her death is €60,000 approx. Does this mean that all 3 daughters receive an equal share of €20,000 each or, as one of my sisters seems to think, does it mean that my mothers estate was €60,000 + €15,000 that was gifted to me in 2010, resulting in my 2 sisters receiving €25,000 and I receive €10,000. It is my understanding that the €15,000 I was gifted 5 years ago has nothing to do with the estate and each daughter (including me) should receive €20,000.

Any advice regarding the above would be much appreciated.

Thanks Branz, much appreciated. That's what I thought, but just needed someone else to confirm it :)

I'm not sure that's what you're asking...

From a tax or legal perspective, the €15k does not form part of your late mother's estate.

However, barring unusual circumstances, it would be odd in my experience for someone in your shoes not to agree to include the €15k in the calculation.

Last edited:
Agree totally with Gordon. Money comes and goes. Was in a similar situation 3 years ago. My advise would be to include the 15k in the overall amount. ;)

Why would I agree to include the €15k in the calculation? With regards to my siblings, they received gifts in previous years to pay for their weddings and debts, they have no intention of including those sums of money in the calculation.

Thanks for the response Vanilla, but unfortunately, I don't understand legal jargon. Could you clarify what this means.

Why would I agree to include the €15k in the calculation? With regards to my siblings, they received gifts in previous years to pay for their weddings and debts, they have no intention of including those sums of money in the calculation.

Note my use of the phrase "barring unusual circumstances". That would include you not mentioning what's are pretty facts (i.e. your siblings also receiving gifts).

Why not point this out to them? Have you broadly received the same?

Back