docked day pay for going to funeral

johnpdolan

Is it right my boss docked me a day's pay to go to funeral 200 miles away from work and the death was on my wife's side of family? I am only seasonal worker but full time workers do not get docked as it is in their contract. I have not been issued a contract.

Normally you would be given some element of bereavement leave for close family member but given the amount of funerals we go to in this country, most companies would either expect you to take it out of leave or make up the time if it was not a close family relative

Right JohnPDolan. Let's say you work in the public service - you are entitled to 3 days compassionate leave for the death of a mother, father, brother, sister, wife, child (immediate family) or for your father and mother-in-law. Outside of these including granparents, cousins, uncles, aunts you are not entitled to be paid for attending funerals or given any time off.

You may not work in the public service, but what I said is a good pointer to what would happen in most companies.

The above isn't correct for civil servants. Here are the details taken from the Dept of Public Expenditure and Reform's site:

Special leave at time of bereavement: Up to five days paid leave in the case of a spouse (including a cohabiting partner), child (including adopted children and children being cared for on the basis of ‘in loco parentis’) or any person in a relationship of domestic dependency, including same sex partners; up to three days paid leave in the case of other immediate relatives [for the purposes of bereavement leave "immediate relative” means father, step-father, mother, step-mother, brother, step-brother, half-brother, brother-in-law, sister, step-sister, half-sister, sister-in-law, father-in-law, mother-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, grandfather, grandmother or grandchild of an officer]; up to one working day in the case of an uncle, aunt, niece or nephew

Sorry Gipmann, my information is correct. The only difference between the two posts is "up to five days paid leave in the case of a spouse . . ." If you dig into this you will see that one gets five days paid leave if he/she must go abroad to take care of funeral arrangements. The vast majority of cases will incur 3 days compassionate leave even for a spouse.

I know I'm nit-picking, but you said the information in my post was not correct.(No offence meant).

Is it right my boss docked me a day's pay to go to funeral 200 miles away from work and the death was on my wife's side of family?
Yes. Why should your employer pay you to take a day off to go to a funeral?
Fortunately most will pay you if a close family member dies but outside of that it is unreasonable to expect them to do so.

I'd love to be the operative in a Call Centre first having approached his Team Leader and being then referred to some terrylene suited junior manager to ask for a few days off with pay to attend a distant aunt's funeral. I know I spoke against counselling on another thread, but this operative would need some serious counselling later (and not because of his distant aunt's demise).

I'd love to be the operative in a Call Centre first having approached his Team Leader and being then referred to some terrylene suited junior manager to ask for a few days off with pay to attend a distant aunt's funeral. I know I spoke against counselling on another thread, but this operative would need some serious counselling later (and not because of his distant aunt's demise).

Frankly i haven't a clue what you taking about here:confused: Did the OP say he was working in a call center?

Frankly i haven't a clue what you taking about here:confused: Did the OP say he was working in a call center?

Hi Moneybox, if you don't know what I'm talking about, there is no need for me to answer.

Regards

Lep

I'm with Moneybox on this, what has the above got to do with anything??
Can't for the life of me work it out and, yes, my first language is English. ;):D

Let's keep it on-topic folks. The OP stated they were a seasonal worker. Any leap beyond this is just that without further clarity.

Back