disqualified from driving.

he can go to the district court and ask for a extension of time to appeal. he then appeals to the circuit court. he should bring his documents this time. once he has lodged his ap[peal he can drive

Excellent responses.A little update.He was stopped at a checkpoint and was told to produce at his local station.HE DID.He went and showed his licence and insurance.He also had the correct discs on his windscreen when stopped.
The next thing he knows is he gets a summons for failing to produce.This is the court date he missed.
So his only mistake was being late for his court date.Fair enough.He will have to explain his situationto his job next week as he cannot carry out his full duties.The garda accepts he came to the station.
I think the blame can be shared although that is no use here.I suppose my question is if he knew somebody in the court system would he be able to get a quick hearing allowing for the fact that the garda accepts he did produce at the time.
Great reading people.

Sorry i thought he was NOT insured. The EXACT same thing happened to me. I also produced within 10 days. I then got a date to go to court, i ignored this thinking it was a mistake. I then got a letter saying i had a 1 year disqualification. I immediately went to the Garda Station and how this was possible as i had produced. They had a look in the book and said i wasnt there, i then asked them to look thoroughly because i DID produce. After about 10 minutes the officer DID find it, it had been written tiny in the corner of a page (rediculous carry on) I then got the Gard to write me a full letter of explanation for me to appeal the case, go to court again and show the letter & photocopies of my Isurance and license etc.

Taking peoples details when they produce it in the book in my opinion is the typical LACKS A DAISY approach to the public sector in Ireland. This system should be bullet proof. Hand written & entered into a digital database.

Hope this helps your friend.

Scan a finger print or two and then there should be no poroblem finding it.

I agree its a pathetic the ways its done. Completely unprofessional.

Since then he has been using taxis for work as he is not office based.

One piece of information we are missing. Was he insured to use his car for work purposes or did he just have regular car insurance? Regular car insurance only covers for "occasional work usage", so its possible that he did have insurance, but not the correct insurance for using the car for work on a regular basis?

Alls well that ends well.He was in court and is back driving.The garda was there and it took two minutes.My friend did not say a word.
So overall if you are producing at a station note the exact time and details so they could look at the station video if you got a summons for not producing.

Just a quick point about producing documents to Garda now. My husband had to produce his licence and insurance at our local station (someone crashed into him so he was making a report to Gardai) and they gave him a receipt dated, signed and stamped to say he had produced and they told him to hold onto this as proof he had done so. Not sure if this is practice in all stations. This was back in January.

Back