Difference in pension contribution values between 2010 and 2011

flossie

Hi everyone, hoping somebody could help me to clarify this.

I moved to Ireland again in 2009, and due to Irish legislation I had to leave my company non-contribution final salary pension scheme (I managed to join a company overseas that still accepted people in and continue to do so!) and set up a PRSA. I am the only one in my company here in Ireland to have to do this (only 3 employees in RoI, other 2 are ring fenced by the legislation so it's just me out there!). As part of my new package my empolyers contribute 8% of salary, and i contribute 7%, in order to get the full 15% allowable at my age.

Now, I cashed in my pension overseas last year as i only had 2 years contributions and it didn't make sense to freeze the pension until I retire (I am 28). For some reason, I wasn't allowed to accept a cash lump sum form the pension, and so my company agreed to use the amount to pay my total contributions (i.e. 15%) until this month, when the balance was used up. I have now taken on my contributions, €390 per month.

My question is this:
I have looked at a pension contribution calculator that shows how much your actual contributions are, taking into account PRSI / Health Levy etc. Last year, my (theorectical) 7% contributions I was making added up to a lot more than what they do this year, well I see about €1500 difference between 2010 and 2011 as it appears I no longer get relief on PRSI and Levy. Is this correct? The reason I ask is that my pension is a very touch subject in my company. My boss is not happy I had to leave the non-contribution scheme and wants me to keep an eye on the situation, including going back to him with any changes in pension calculation/legislation etc. If things change, he is happy to support me in seeking salary increases in order to maintain where I was when we first agreed contracts.

So, am i correct in this calculation? Hoping this will make sense to you all.....

Yes you are correct in that contributions no longer attract relief from PRSI and the USC where they would have in 2010. As well as this, as an unintended consequence of legislation changes anyone who is getting an employer contribution to a PRSA will have to pay BIK on them. This results in a charge of about 9% extra on 2010.

El Nino, I actually queried whether I would be subject to BIK on my salary last week, and work came back to say 'no'. Now, as one of 3 people in this country working for a large international firm we have surprisingly poor support on things like this.

I shall be going back to my boss and payroll armed with all this information - thank you so much for helping me.

Back