difference between PVC kitchen & painted solid wood?

*rose

hi

we are in the middle of pricing around for our kitchen & trying to decide what type to go for ... is there a difference between a PVC kitchen & a painted wood one, apart from the price diff which is massive!!!

we are planning on going with a cream coloured kitchen, we have gone to a few different kitchen places now & there is thousands in the price difference, is there any reason why a PVC kitchen would be inferior to solid wood as reflected in the price diff? we are looking for a good quality kitchen which will stand the test of time, but hoping not to break the bank either!!

also pricing granite worktops ... love the star galaxy black colour but very very expensive ...

thanks for any help :)

Re: difference between PVC kitchen & painted solid wood???

hi

we are in the middle of pricing around for our kitchen & trying to decide what type to go for ... is there a difference between a PVC kitchen & a painted wood one, apart from the price diff which is massive!!!

thanks for any help :)

The difference is one is made of PVC and the other is made of, er, wood. :D

THe only PVC kitchen I have seen did not stand the test of time.
It got chipped very quickly and looked shabby within a year.

I dont know if this is typical, or just one experience.

The wooden kitchen is an investment. If you intend to stay in the house for a number of years then it will still look good; if you intend to sell the place then the kitchen is one of the key areas that buyers look at. If they believe that they will have to spend out on a new kitchen a short time after buying then the price offered will be much reduced.

I don't think PVC doors will stand the test of time. In a renting house we had once, if peeled around the cooker with the heat, and generally looked poor.
A least a painted wood one can be touched up down the line if necessary.

If there is that much of a price difference in your quotes, I wonder is it Solid Wood sprayed doors they are quoting you for? I have a painted cream utility room, which is just Oak MDF doors (gives a grain effect) sprayed Cream and should not be much dearer than PVC coated doors.

Last edited:
We are in the process of having a cream painted wooden kitchen installed. We also picked the Galaxy star granite but it was not available, our supplier tried several importers to no avail. In the end we went out to one of the importers yard and had a good look around, eventually picked something totally different. Gallio Empoli ?? or something like that. Cream base colour with loads of different coloured fleks in it.

Secman

Maybe try Hickey's in Ovens for the granite? They also have a good range of composite stone tops which is what we went for.

You should try to deal directly with the granite companies and haggle as they are all quiet atm.

They just call out and take a template after the kitchen goes in, which is no different to what the kitchen company does - they just sub it out and prob get a kick back for using one crowd over another.

Did you try Hannon's in Ballygarvan for the kitchen? They do second nature brand - which are suppposed to be really strong pvc sort of kitchens (foil wrapped mdf doors) - and come with guarantees etc.

hth

we have Panelling Centre foil wrapped doors and I asked loads of people at the time if they were as good as wood and everyone said they would last really well but low and behold 2 years after they went in they are showing signs of peeling at the edges of the shelves where heavy bowls are repeatedly pulled in and out etc - as mentioned above if they were painted wood we could just touch them up but I don't see how we can touch this up as its clearly the top layer peeling off - I'd go for painted in future.

With regards the solid wood kitchen being an investment, it will only be so if it doesn't become very dated. even expensive kitchens are ripped out because new owners don't like them, the pvc I guess offers a little less of a gamble as in will you still like either of them in 2/3 years time.

pvc is only ok,will look good for about 2 years and then will start getting harder to clean more so with the lighter colours.it will peel at the edges near heat like the oven and kettle steam.doors about 20 years ago were made of laminate-what you get on worktops and lasted alot longer than todays pvc.some companies still call it laminate today, but its not, its pvc.

if you are getting a solid wood finish make sure that the seen panels,kickers,cornice and pelmet are painted either veneered mdf,mdf or solid not a plastic finish (melamine on chipboard).this is what budget companies do when they sell "solid wood"kitchens-only the doors are solid.

thanks a million for all the replies! appreciate the help as we don't really have a clue & different kitchen places are telling us different things ....

there is about 6k in the difference between a cream painted solid wood kitchen & the 'pvc' ... the best price we have got is from kitchen world, who do laminate doors, thought that might be different to pvc but maybe not ....

does anyone have any experience of kitchen world??? they have given us a good price only valid until the end of the month ...

secman, where are you gettin your cream kitchen from?

Carcases, drawers and doors etc from In House. Granite sourced elsewhere. Bro in law is fitting the kitchen. Main kitchen has granite but using ordinary worktop in utility. All in cost is €10,500. AFAIK bro in law is pulling in favours for good price.

Secman

secman, maghera granite in derry have loads of star galaxy, was in their yard today. they also fit in dublin.... (no connection)

ya, that seems like an amazing price for your kitchen secman, granite alone costing me half that ....

seantheman, what kinda price is the star galaxy where u saw it???

anyone get their kitchen from kitchen world?? anyone get solid kitchen at ok price in the south east??

thanks again for all the replies

Hi ya Rose,

We have our kitchen sorted with kitchen world at the moment too, getting the solid chestnut kitchen worktop total 12m black galaxy and island 1.7 x 1 meter including the utility and a free bosch double oven total cost is €12k total. Haggling with James!

Total Granite is €4,600

thanks Seantheman, but we have ordered the other granite, definitely different to our original plans, but su're trying to be different anyways !

Secman

There should be not that much of a diffrence is your kitichen hand painted or sprayed if it is hand painted that would work out a lot more expensive.But wood looks better and is also longer lasting.

thanks again for the replies.

jollyman, thats a great price - is that kitchen world in waterford??? we got a price of 10k kitchen only - cream laminate, 4,600 black granite (not the galaxy one) ...

Ya rose at the six cross roads, i got over €2,500 off him, haggling with him, the nero star black galaxy granite is €4,600 he had a special offer on some other one, but the galaxy actually worked out cheaper!
Ask to speak to James he is to store manager!

thanks jollyman! will def be paying them another visit!

what stage is your house at now? plastering these weeks .... at long last!!

Back