Died before pension lump sum was due

robbie00

Hi,

Hope this is the right location for this post. My father passed away before he had received his pension lump sum due to taking early retirement.

I am not sure what his pension lump sum amount would be but he had worked all his life in a public company.

My question is would this full pension lump sum be due to his estate, as I am trying to find this out to make sure my mother gets exactly what she is entitled to.

All advice appreciated.

Hi Robbie00

1st condolences on the loss of your dad.

Not 100% sure but I would guess that as long as:

1. your father completed all the paperwork following his retirement and made his wishes known to take a lump sum and
2. the pension administrator had received and processed all this

Then the estate should be able to take the tax-free lump sum following his death.

Thanks for the reply. Yes he had made it known to myself and the rest of the family he was due a lump sum upon his work pensionable. I think at the time for tax reasons he was advised to wait.

I will contact the pensions department in his old company and see what is due to his estate. I am trying to start his probate process so I need to find out everything that would be due to my monther. I was lucky enough to be able to transfer the house in joint names over into her name already so now its just any money in accounts or due to him I need to find.

Cheers
Rob

Hi there

We are in the same situation as yourself.

My dad died after taking early retirement and he was due to get a lump sum this summer.

We have been advised that the lump sum will still be paid and my mother will receive half of his pension.

He was also a civil servant and there was a 'welfare officer' who contacted us and told us of all of his entitlements relating to pensions / lump sums and there was also a life insurance policy that was being deducted from his salary that he continued after his retirement.

Hi Tomorrow,

Thanks for the reply, I have already got my mother setup to receive half of my fathers pension and she is also entitled to a widows pension. Not sure if you have checked for that yourself.

I contacted the pensions department again and there is a lump sum due which they will work out for me and send the details in the post so least theres something extra there for my mother.

Sorry for your loss also, tough times alright and I know my mother wouldnt be able to chase all this up so I am doing it all for her. Its great with sites like this and the internet can find out so much about what needs to be done.

Cheers,
Rob

Back