DFS Disaster!

deviant

Hi there

I put in an order with DFS.ie on the 4th of June 2016 for a divan bed base, headboard and mattress. I received a phone call from DFS Blanchardstown seven weeks after I placed the order, asking if I could receive the bed in two separate deliveries, as the mattress had not yet arrived to DFS. I stated that I couldn't as I live in an apartment and did not have the space to store our existing bed and the base and headboard of the new bed. The customer service agent acknowledged this and told me that she would schedule delivery for the 29th of July as the mattress was due before then, but if it was delayed, I would be notified.

When DFS arrived on the 29th, lo and behold that there was no mattress, but a divan base and two headboards, even though I only ordered one. The delivery driver had no explanation as to where the mattress was, when it was arriving, why they had packed two headboards, or why DFS had seemingly ignored my request to deliver the complete bed in one go, and failed to notify me about the missing mattress. I had to take a day from my company holidays to take delivery of the bed, and now it appears I need to take another one in the near future.

Reluctantly, I took delivery of the base and one headboard. In the process of installing the bed, the delivery guys managed to destroy the bedroom carpet, leaving it covered in dirt, with mucky handprints on the walls which only added insult to injury at this stage.

Having heard nothing from DFS regarding the missing mattress since, and the online order tracker indicating our order was "complete," I called on Saturday the 6th of August to be told that the manufacturer had "shut down" until the 15th of August, which is absolutely farcical.

I was never notified that it may take almost 3 months to completely receive my bed, and a bed is obviously unusable without a mattress. Luckily, we had not disposed of our original mattress and we are using that in place of the new one. Had we disposed of it beforehand to free up space, we would be down a bed until the end of the month.

I wrote a long complaint to them on the 8th of August and I was contacted by UK head office shortly after sending the email, apologising for the delay. I was informed that it would be arriving the week beginning the 22nd of August and I would be kept updated as to the whereabouts of the mattress in the meantime.

I had not heard from DFS for another two weeks and once again I had to chase up the progress of this order myself. I called DFS Blanchardstown on Tuesday the 23rd of August and was told the mattress would definitely be in that week, so I should expect to be called later that day with an exact delivery day, which never happened.

I called again on the 25th, and DFS, to my utter disbelief, still did not know where the mattress was but once again I was assured I would be called later that day with an exact date. Again, it never happened

I cannot recall having ever experienced such poor customer service with any other company. If I didn't know better, I would assume DFS is actively trying to antagonise me.
It has been 14 weeks since I placed the order and it is still not complete.

I have been in contact with the European Consumer Centre who have advised me that DFS is likely in breach of the Sale of Goods and Services Act 1980 as the bed, without a mattress, is neither fit for its normal purpose, or as described, given that DFS disregarded my instruction to deliver all of my order together, and instead suited themselves and delivered the bed base and headboard only.

I contacted DFS customer support that if the mattress was not delivered by the 25th I would be unable to take delivery of it, and wanted it removed from the order I made originally. If they even attempted to quibble with this request, I would escalate the matter to the small claims court on the basis that the goods I ordered are not as described, and DFS seem incapable of rendering the service I signed a contract for.

Another phone call came from DFS saying that they were very sorry and were "going to be honest" and state that the mattress would not arrive by the 26th. They didn't state what the reason for the delay was, but if i was willing to take delivery of it on the week beginning the 5th of September, they would offer me a discount on the order. I rang last Thursday the 8th to check if it had arrived, and they said there was "note" on the order stating it would be arriving by the 9th.

It's now the 12th, still no mattress. I rang today and was told there was a "miscommunication" and that was mattress was due to be "shipped to Ireland" on the 9th, and that it would be arriving in Blanchardstown on Wednesday the 14th, 14 weeks after I ordered.

In the contract I signed with DFS, it stated that payments are debited one month after delivery is complete. On the DFS webpage, it states that the order is complete as of the 29th of July, but it clearly is not. I have instructed my bank to refuse payment to DFS until a resolution to this has been obtained one way or another.

The whole experience buying a bed with DFS has been a disaster. Between the slow delivery time, lack of communication, blatant misinformation and deception, and disregarding my request to deliver all the bed components together, I could never recommend using the company for beds to a friend.

I went with DFS because we ordered a sofa from them earlier this year and had a completely different experience. We were kept informed of the progress of our order, the company took ownership of our order and delivery was smooth and problem-free. It has been like dealing with two different companies!

I rang a couple of consumer rights organisations but they all seem fairly toothless. None of them seem to have any enforcement powers, so I'm wondering where I stand now regarding my consumer rights. DFS should not be allowed take money for a service they seem completely incapable of providing, and I would love nothing more if they were slapped with some form of punishment.
Any advice would be appreciated.
[broken link removed] [broken link removed]

Last edited:
Contact Conor Pope at the Irish Times (or his slot at the Ray D'Arcy show). Giving oxygen to stories like this can turn things on its head completely.

Small claims court. Claim for your time and the inconvenience as well. Most likely they will not put in a defence and you will get a court order for the amount you claimed. It often is that simple.

It will cost you €2
Small claims court. Claim for your time and the inconvenience as well. Most likely they will not put in a defence and you will get a court order for the amount you claimed. It often is that simple.

+ 1 and also claim for damages to your bedroom from the installation

I just came across your story, and I must say, just like you, I have not come across a customer service as bad as DFS Blanchardstown. I have paid the deposit on a divan bed sometime around June and set up direct debits for the following months. I was told in the shop that the bed was going to arrive in a month. The delivery arrived in time, but with the wrong bed. My old bed was disposed the night before, so I had no choice but to keep the one that was delivered. I rang the shop to explain the situation and I was asked to send them pictures with the bed. They took a few weeks for an engineer to call out and have a look, as they couldn't understand through phonecalls and pictures what the issue was. ( the bed had drawers at the top and wholes for a footboard- which didn't exist) and my order was placed for bottom drawers and a headboard. when the engineer called, he checked the bed and he headed for the front door. No explanation at all. I went after him addressing the questions and he offered me a footboard or 20€ discount. I have rejected the offer as both me and my husband are tall and the footboard would be rather uncomftable plus I couldn't use the drawers as they weren't positioned to the requested end.
A few months after, another bed was delivered. Once again it was not the ordered product. This bed was almost half of the height of the ordered product. Then the story with phonecalls, e-mails and call outs repeats once again. I have asked them to resolve the issue urgently, as I wasn't prepared to wait for months again. Of course I got no joy with that. I have rang them looking for the refund around November. They wouldn't refund me only 10 days after the bed was returned so I had to raise other funds in order to get myself a new bed. I got my money back in 3 drops: initial deposit by cheque, payments from 2015, and payments from 2016 about a week after. A month after being refunded I receive a letter from the financing company informing me of the missed payment. I was smart enough to cancel the direct debit in time, but they have not notified Creation that the bed was returned!
Overall, I was waiting for the right product for around 8-9 months and it has never arrived.
DFS would not return the phone calls half of the time, told me numerous times that the haven't received my e-mails ( pure lie) and customer service is somewhere below 0.

Back