Designing a Company Logo

I think when people get something for very cheap they can dismiss that its actually of value. I was once asked to work on designs for email newsletters. The client actually paid us to spend a couple of weeks (on and off) at it, till he got what he wanted. To me emails are free and cost nothing, and personally email adverts , I generally ignore, so i questioned the wisdom of spending so much time and effort and money on them. However the client reckoned every time he did one, his newsletter pulled in between 5 and 10k in sales.

Incidentally he actually had a rebrand, and different trading name, and logo for different parts of his market. Ranging from budget to premium. Even in the emails and newspaper ads.

I think when people get something for very cheap they can dismiss that its actually of value. I was once asked to work on designs for email newsletters. The client actually paid us to spend a couple of weeks (on and off) at it, till he got what he wanted. To me emails are free and cost nothing, and personally email adverts , I generally ignore, so i questioned the wisdom of spending so much time and effort and money on them. However the client reckoned every time he did one, his newsletter pulled in between 5 and 10k in sales.

Incidentally he actually had a rebrand, and different trading name, and logo for different parts of his market. Ranging from budget to premium. Even in the emails and newspaper ads.

Thats a nice story but nothing to do with logos!

If someone wants a logo and understands how to use it with branding etc. it will be used regardless of what it cost!

Common sense would suggest its not 40 million or ALL of a startup budget. Thats just nonsense.

But that wasn't your question that I replied to. You asked about proving the worth of a logo. Of course its unlikely you'd only change a logo, usually you'd be changing more than that. But assuming you'd actually just change the logo on its own and nothing else. You'd have to see what the difference in business was before and after the change of the logo. Would you hire a graphic designer to put metrics on charting sales figures? or analyse them, I don't think so.

Hence its not a question about graphics.

But nobody would ever just change a logo so its never going to happen.

I'd say it unlikely not impossible. But, thats what you asked "logo alone". Perhaps some market research company has done a study along those lines.

The story is indicates you might know the cost of something but not always the value of it. Especially if its not expensive. I think this applies to logos as people are obsessed with the cost of them, and getting them as cheap as possible. You might be buying a cheap doodle, not a logo. Equally you might get a great logo for little cost. Its not linear.

I'd say it unlikely not impossible. But, thats what you asked "logo alone". Perhaps some market research company has done a study along those lines.

The story is indicates you might know the cost of something but not always the value of it. Especially if its not expensive. I think this applies to logos as people are obsessed with the cost of them, and getting them as cheap as possible. You might be buying a cheap doodle, not a logo. Equally you might get a great logo for little cost. Its not linear.

Which brings us back to the OP not looking spend over €400 and that there is no reason why he/she should have to spend more than this if they do not want/afford to. Also, a big spend does not necessarily mean a better logo.

Indeed. Its like anything. You could spend X on a product or service and it could be fine. You could spend 4 times X and it could be rubbish.

Back