Deloitte or Grant Thornton

senni

A friend of mine has been offered a new training contract as a trainee accountant with both Deloitte and Grant Thornton and was wondering about the advantages of both these companies ?

She has two good offers, so fair play to her.

Grant Thornton is an excellent firm. She is likely to get a better and more interesting mix of experience of small, medium and large firms. They have clients like Yahoo and State Street Bank. With Deloittes, there is a risk that she might only work on large multinational audit clients or be stuck in the audit of funds.

However, Deloittes is one of the Big 4 firms and as such it carries a prestige which will stand to her for the rest of her career. It puts her in the top division. (The Big 4 probably accounts for around 50% of all trainees, so it's not that exclusive.)

Some people who train outside the Big 4 feel that they need to do two years' post qualification experience in the Big 4 to round off their experience.

Note: I trained with Deloitte Haskins + Sells at a time when it was smaller than Grant Thornton is now. So I would have got the Grant Thornton experience with the prestige of a Top 4 training.

Last edited:
Th
She has two good offers, so fair play to her.

Grant Thornton is an excellent firm. She is likely to get a better and more interesting mix of experience of small, medium and large firms, whereas with Deloittes, there is a risk that she might only work on large multinational audit clients.

However, Deloitte is one of the Big 4 firms and as such it carries a prestige which will stand to her for the rest of her career. It puts her in the top division. (The Big 4 probably accounts for around 50% of all trainees, so it's not that exclusive.)

Many people who train outside the Big 4 feel that they need to do two years' post qualification experience in the Big 4 to round off their experience.

Note: I trained with Deloitte Haskins + Sells at a time when it was smaller than Grant Thornton is now. So I would have got the Grant Thornton experience with the prestige of a Top 4 training.

Thank you , that's helped us immensely in making the right choice .

Back