Deceased Bank acc

Foreveryoung

Hi my sister died recently and I am executor if her will.. she has my brother named on her Bank acc.all the money she’s owned is in that acc.. she left most of the money in her will.. what happens now

Firstly, my sympathies for your loss.

You should contact the bank in the first instance and ask to speak to their bereavement unit. This is what they deal with daily, and will answer all your questions.

Whether the funds form part of the estate or automatically transfer to your brother will depend on the mandate on the account if it was jointly held. Your brother might have just been a signatory. The bank will clarify this for you, and you can work from there.

Sympathies on your sad loss. I was a joint account holder with my father as I looked after his finances. All funds were transferred to my account after he died. Our mandate was joint and not just me as a signatory though. If your brother had a similar set up chances are he may get all the funds. All I had to do was produce the death Cert and the bank didn't contact the executor at all. I was surprised as there was a will leaving all his estate equally between his children. It was a current account yet I believe a savings account holds different rules depending on the balance. You'd want to clarify the situation with the bank asap if there are more beneficiaries than your brother.

Thank you I will contact the bank tomorrow.. there are four beneficiaries ... it is a savings account do you know what the rules are with that...not a lot in account just about enough to cover all furneral expensives etc and the beneficiaries... wonder who will have to pay if the mandate is in his favour... that is all the estate she would have .. no house etc

Last edited:
If the estate is under 25k and is all cash in the bank it can be dealt with without going through probate. I would hope your brother will co operate in releasing the funds if the bank require his signature. Definitely call the deceased team of whichever bank tomorrow and advise of her death.

Back