Danske Bank/NIB to close down - hold onto your tracker

I wonder what would happen if I told Danske that I was not signing the DD mandate but that I was changing my SO from my Ulsterbank Current Account to pay directly into my Danske Mortgage account instead of my Danske Current Account. I just don't like them tinkering around with my Tracker and I take Orga's point about losing autonomy.

I am very much of the same mind.

While I don't have access to my mortgage documentation or loan documents at the moment, has anyone checked to see what the paperwork says in terms of how the mortgage is paid ?

Assuming it does not specifically reference payment by direct debit, then I think we are well within our rights to tell them we ain't signing direct debits end of story.

I would query your comment on it being simple and free, free yes but simple ?

In my experience, after a small bit of research, I found it was then a simple enough process. I have made two separate complaints to the Ombudsman, both have been fully upheld. I have no legal or financial background whatsoever, nor was any needed.

Those who do not find it simple or are not fully confident going it alone should of course use the services of an adviser experienced in this area.

ask Dankse to keep my tracker mortgate c/a open - the c/a does nothing else, no fee, no debit card etc.
they wrote back to say no and want me to fill out a direct debit mandate from an alternate c/a

anyone know can I just pay directly into my mortgage a/c e.g. from rabo.

My Danske T&c’s under current account state;

’Where your current account is operated through any other bank, you must prior to drawdown of the loan provide a standing order or direct debiting authority to us in such form as we may require.’’

Can’t see how this could now apply as your loan is already drawn down, and they are closing your existing current account.

Under Repayment, it simply states ‘’You agree to repay the loan by the repayment instalments as they fall due………………………..’’
It makes no mention of direct debits or standing orders.

Danske might not like it, but if you want to pay by EFT from your Rabo A/c, then I think the T&c’s allow for it, as long as the money is paid in full and on time.

What is the issue you have with a direct debit ?, My repayment now goes by direct debit from another current account, to me it seemed like the simplest solution.

Is it that you don’t have or want another current account and Rabo don’t allow direct debits ?

It's more annoying than anything else - was obliged to open a c/a with them (NIB) to get the mortgage and then when they started charging fees I went through hoops (proof of address, passport copies etc) to have it converted to a mortgage feeding account without fees.

I might try your suggestion - pay by EFT from rabo straight into the mortgage & see how they react.

& thanks for the info re conditions

It's more annoying than anything else - was obliged to open a c/a with them (NIB) to get the mortgage and then when they started charging fees I went through hoops (proof of address, passport copies etc) to have it converted to a mortgage feeding account without fees.

I might try your suggestion - pay by EFT from rabo straight into the mortgage & see how they react.

& thanks for the info re conditions
Isn't that what they are forcing us to do in any event??

It's more annoying than anything else.............

If this is your only reason for not signing a direct debit, and you think that in the future you might want to trade up, get a car loan, overdraft or change credit card provider, then I think you should reconsider.

If you forget or are unable (internet banking down, sudden illness etc) to manually make your payment on time even once, then your credit rating will probably be shot for several years thereafter.

@twofor1 - I get paid directly into Rabo savings a/c and have a standing orrder set up to automatically pay into the mortgage feeding C/A each month. So I just have to switch that to pay into the mortgage instead - if Dankse allow that. according to your earlier post it should work, I'll give it a go.

Personally hate direct debits . As prices always go up without u noticing or so they hope. Standing order to eft should be the proper way

@potnoodler - or even better pay annually, but not DD, so you have to decide to opt back in. For TV/phone etc of course, no opting out paying the morgage!

@twofor1 - I get paid directly into Rabo savings a/c and have a standing orrder set up to automatically pay into the mortgage feeding C/A each month. So I just have to switch that to pay into the mortgage instead - if Dankse allow that. according to your earlier post it should work, I'll give it a go.

I'm planning to do this as well - that is set up a standing order to pay directly into the mortgage account.

I received the Danske letter and booklet this morning, and as others have said they only mention direct debits.

However, there's a complication: for TRS payments, they say you should set up a direct debit, and they will make the refund payments to the same account. So, what happens if there's no direct debit?

I'm planning to write to them anyway, but has anyone else established from them if they will make TRS payments when there's no direct debit?

Please don't suggest just setting up a direct debit: I do not want to do this, especially with Danske. I'm already in dispute with them about payments taken in the last few weeks, and I don't want to have to deal with this kind of thing in the future.

Can the trs payments be made directly into the loan account

I have transferred overpayments directly into my Danske mortgage from various banks without issue on numerous occasions.

It has an IBAN, BIC and account number like any other account, I would be interested in hearing any plausible reason why TRS could not be transferred directly to your mortgage account or any other account of your choice, be that Rabo or wherever.

So have I . Neither want nor trust direct debits by dansk or the vulture fund they flog off my loan like a drug debt

Direct Debit is what Danske want, with TRS refunded to this account, if it’s not what you want then write to them stating mortgage payment will be made directly to mortgage account by standing order / regular transfer and instruct them to send TRS to an account of your choice.

Direct Debit is what Danske want, with TRS refunded to this account, if it’s not what you want then write to them stating mortgage payment will be made directly to mortgage account by standing order / regular transfer and instruct them to send TRS to an account of your choice.

That's exactly what I'm intending to do, but I just wondered if anyone has done this already, and if so if they've got any response.

There's no way I'd trust Danske with a direct debit from my main current account. They've got mortgage payments wrong in the past, including within the last two months.

Mortgage docuement

I have a 2007 tracker mortgage docuement for 1% over ecb rate.
Would you have 2007 terms and conditions for an overdraft.
As far as I recall it was in a small booklet.

Has anyone had a charge for a late payment rescinded??

In June last year, It slipped my mind to top up my NIB/Danske feeder account - and so, the mortgage standing order didn't go through. I sorted this out with them but they told me that I would be charged €10 for effectively failing to pay on time. I didn't like it - but couldn't argue with it.

Last week, I received a letter from them saying that they had reviewed charges applied last year and that €10 charge had been applied in error. They went on to say that they were crediting me with the €10 - which they have just done.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense....but it got me thinking. Are they cleaning up their loan book and making it more presentable?....as in perhaps for sale?

Maybe I'm as far out as a lighthouse - but just thought I'd mention it and see what others felt?..and indeed if anyone else has had any such charge reimbursed.

I got charged €10 just recently for a late payment. I was shy €17 in my account! I got a letter 8 days after the due-date to inform me that I had insufficient funds and to pay within 5 days of the due-date or get fined! But that meant that I found out about the issue 3 days too late. I've phoned Danske twice to get the payment rescinded but the charge is still in place.

I got charged €10 just recently for a late payment. I was shy €17 in my account! I got a letter 8 days after the due-date to inform me that I had insufficient funds and to pay within 5 days of the due-date or get fined! But that meant that I found out about the issue 3 days too late. I've phoned Danske twice to get the payment rescinded but the charge is still in place.
That's how mine played out last year - the letter arrived after I could fix the problem. They maintained that they would not relent on the €10 charge - and proceeded to take that out of my account until now - over 6 months later - they hand it back???

Back