Damage to Motorbike - repair or replace

Lorz

I damaged a bike last night - didn't see it in my mirrors and reversed back knocking it to the ground. It's a 97 bike and the guy is now looking for a new faring (plastic part at front of bike). I didnt' reverse over the bike - just knocked it over and all I saw was a 2-3" crack. I'm hoping to get the crack repaired but he wants a new faring (about €600). Am I being unreasonable? He's talking about scratches - as if a 97 bike didn't have any scratches to begin with! Can I insist he takes the repair?

Thanks!

Hi Lorz ,

Ive had several bikes and had an accident on one of them.....cracked every fairing on it........It was a 96 honda cbr 400 and I needed a whole new front fairing on the left........full price paid from honda dealer.......206 euro....In my opinion its either a very unique bike or hes pulling a fast one.......

Lorz said:
I damaged a bike last night - didn't see it in my mirrors and reversed back knocking it to the ground. It's a 97 bike and the guy is now looking for a new faring (plastic part at front of bike). I didnt' reverse over the bike - just knocked it over and all I saw was a 2-3" crack. I'm hoping to get the crack repaired but he wants a new faring (about €600). Am I being unreasonable? He's talking about scratches - as if a 97 bike didn't have any scratches to begin with! Can I insist he takes the repair?

Thanks!

get the faring yourself!!!! you were in the wrong so you must pay.SO simply replace it by purchasing it yourself or at least get a quote

Thanks for the replies - I priced around and apparently it is €650 - one of the bike shops gave me details of a guy that repairs farings - the owner of the bike has agreed to the repairs. Thankfully as it's considerably less than €700!

X-man - I didn't imply that I didn't want to pay - I was asking given it's a 97 bike (ie 9yrs old) it obviously has scratches and surely getting the damage repaired would be acceptable rather than replaced. Originally the owner of the bike didn't want to accept the repair but eventually did.

Back