CV Templates for Professional Jobs

Applecart

Hi

Can anyone recommend a website where you can download free microsoft word templates for professional jobs?

Thank you in advance

What's a professional job?
One where one discharges one's duties and responsibilities professionally. I would hope all jobs would qualify. "If it's worth doing at all, it's worth doing well."

Microsoft has many templates on their web-site, or maybe try a web-search Bing, Google or Yahoo using job specific search criteria.

From your link (my Bold);
"A professional is a member of a profession. The term also describes the standards of education and training that prepare members of the profession with the particular knowledge and skills necessary to perform the role of that profession. In addition, most professionals are subject to strict codes of conduct enshrining rigorous ethical and moral obligations. Professional standards of practice and ethics for a particular field are typically agreed upon and maintained through widely recognized professional associations. Some definitions of "professional" limit this term to those professions that serve some important aspect of public interest and the general good of society"

That excludes lawyers, doctors and just about every other sector that consider themselves to be Professionals! :)

It's a silly and outdated distinction from a time when real gentlemen didn't work but rather lived off their estates and investments or if they did work then they limited themselves to the Professions (law, medicine and politics) in order to minimise the embarrassment they were causing to their families.

While law and medicine were regarded as the traditional or real professions now days everything from teaching to nursing to architecture to engineering is considered a profession. It's a way of fostering elitism but by casting the net so wide it is devalued.

A skilled machinist who spends their time programming, designing and manufacturing precision components for anything from a medical devise to a satellite can do so without getting out of their chair but they are a Tradesperson whereas an accountant who spends their time inputting data and doing far less thinking is a Professional. As I say, it's a silly distinction.

From the same link;
"The etymology and historical meaning of the term professional is, "from Middle English, from profes, adjective, having professed one's vows, from Anglo-French, from Late Latin professus, from Latin, past participle of profitēri to profess, confess, from pro- before + fatēri to acknowledge; in other senses, from Latin professus, past participle".
Thus, as people became more and more specialized in their trade, they began to 'profess' their skill to others, and 'vow' to perform their trade to the highest known standard. With a reputation to uphold, trusted workers of a society who have a specific trade are considered professionals.
Ironically, the usage of the word 'profess' declined from the late 1800s to the 1950s, just as the term 'professional' was gaining popularity from 1900-2010."

By that definition a master craftsman/woman who is a member of a craft guild is a professional whereas an accountant isn't.

Last edited:
While on the topic of CVs I'd be interested to try and discover what is the correct format for a CV these days.

I have heard some people suggest a CV should be no more than two pages, others say this is wrong (while not suggesting that you produce a three hundred page novel), that your CV should be as long as nececssary to get all relevant information on paper, but in a concise manner.

I have also heard it suggested that your CV shoudl be in bullet format and often relying on little more than key words, rather than small paragraphs covering different skills, education etc.

Some have suggested to me that a CV should be written in the third, rather than first person.

One person even tried to convince me that I should type the complete URL of my personal LinkedIn page on the CV, near where by personal and contact details are provided. Thats one hell of a long URL, so I'm certainly not convinced this is correct.

So, anyone out there know what is correct for todays job market ?

Thank you.

Hard to say, I tailored every CV to every job application lifting buzzwords from the job-spec and ensuring my experience carried those same buzzwords - in case someone outside my function/area had to check to see if I was suitable for the role and not knowing anything about the role.

Re LinkedIn URL, not the worst idea ... but I would assume this is being checked out already so ensure roles/titles/experience matches!

I know from my working days in a HR department of a large semi state company I often overheard people on Interview boards saying that anything more than 2 pages in a CV is boring, unnecessary and nearly a guarantee to a place in the also-rans where the last statement from the Interview board chairman usually is "Enjoy your journey back to . . . (insert wherever you came from)."

Oh! and the buzz words, forget about them . . . instant failure. But, if you are going for an interview for a post in the HSE say "Going Forward . . ." as often as you can.

+ on LinkedIn URL

Other piece of advice is to read the advert and try and tailor your CV to match the requirements. Sole purpose of the CV is to get you an interview so unless yiu are going for an entry level type position, try and avoid the the generic CV

To expand on thedaddyman's point, if it's a role likely to attract a lot of candidates, make sure your CV includes some of the key words/ phrases from the spec, many companies will filter CVs automatically, if your doesn't include certain key words, it'll never even reach a human.

Back