Customs in New york

W

woolly

Hi we are thinking of buying a laptop and ps2 in the states will we have a problom bringing them back through customs. what are the limitations of customs aand wat can be brought through
thanks

Re: US

Strictly speaking you would be liable for customs and excise duties. It's not like us on AAM to condone evasion of such but people travel with laptops all the time and you probably wouldn't be questioned too much about either equipment.

Beyond that, the laptop should work fine. They're built for that sort of country-to-country usage. Your warranty would probably be useless so don't bother paying extra for one. As for the PS2, I'd be pretty sure that it would be region 1 as far as DVDs go. We're region 2 here in euroland. As for the games, I'm pretty sure there's an NTSC vs. PAL issue there. I'm no expert on that side of things. The US uses NTSC but most modern TVs can accept both PAL and NTSC signals. I'm not sure if there's any difference between the games. You could always buy them in from the states. Probably cheaper anyway but I'm sure someone else knows more than I do. May ask in the IT forum.

customs

woolly: with regards to your laptop plan, have you checked out warranty issues? i'd make sure you get a worldwide plan if possible. other than that, i would imagine nice shiny new laptops might catch someone's eye. older laptops might have a bit of grub or a couple of stickers on them and be carried in a used looking case I would think.

Back