Croatia - Package Trip....good idea ?

Silvera

I saw a package trip to Croatia advertised in Saturday's Indo www.thetraveldepartment.ie

Basically, 7 nights (half board) 3-star hotel in Dubrovnik with guided day trips to islands, Medjugore (? hmm), city tour, etc. for €599 (plus €99 single supplement, i.e. - me ! :))

Has anybody here done a similar trip to Croatia ?
Dealt/travelled with 'The Travel Department' travel agency ?

.......and would it be a good trip for a single male seeking a slightly different holiday destination ?
i.e. - would I be stuck with middle-aged couples ? :eek: :)

I have used the travel department six times over the past three years. I have found them very good. We also wanted to go to Dubrovnik but checked out first if we could do it any cheaper ourselves. By booking our flight and hotel ourselves we were able to do it for considerably cheaper. When in Dubrovnik we sussed out the hotel that the travel department use and found it somewhat away from the old town but still in a nice quiet location. The city tour is nothing, you can do this yourself. Medjugore? Yeah we thought so too! We didn't do the Elphite Islands but went to Cavtat by boat ourselves. Easy to do.
One thing when travelling with the travel department that you are required to do is to share a table in the evening with the same people from day one. We found this particularly bad on our last trip to Tuscany/Rome (Last May) as the couple we were sharing with had awful table manners of the picking teeth/nose/ears variety.
My suggestion would be to do Dubrovnik yourself (Aer Lingus) and stay for 4 days maximum, you will see everything. Use the travel department for more out of the way places.

Thanks for the feedaback guys!

I'm starting to have second thoughts about going to Croatia in October - apparently the weather can be very bad.

And the thoughts of being obliged to share a table with iffy folks is not very enticing - especially after having travelled solo for most of last year.

Cheers,
Silvera.

One final thing on Dubrovnik about the weather. When we were there it rained solidly for one day. Because the old town is bowl shaped, the rain literally pours down in streams from the higher sides. It is like walking in a shallow stream when heading down the middle section. Bring spare shoes and an umbrella. Where the travel department operate tours on a Bed and breakfast basis you avoid the group evening meal. Incidentally there are always young people on these tours it is not just made up of old pharts. Coach tours can be a great way of seeing unusual places without the hassle of arranging the travel yourself.

Thanks for the info folks!
Much appreciated.

I'm still considering where to go........just seen cheap(ish) flights to Switzerland :).......

Back