Credit Union has sent my debt to a debt collection agency

Newman

Need some urgent advice on the following issue. I have been faithfully paying off a CU debt by means of a monthly direct debit as verbally agreed with the management. This arrangement has been operating now for a number of years with consistent unbroken payments. However this morning I received in the post a letter from a Debt Collection Agency who are now apparently handling my file asking me to contact them regarding same.
What I am paying is the maximum I can afford and we are living on social welfare payments my husband is an OAP 76yrs old...while I an 60 years of age. There is no possible way I can increase the monthly payments being made and these people are expecting me to contact them in the morning. Can anyone offer any advice as to how I should approach this when I do make contact and what power do these organisations have to enforce another situation, thank you,

If you already have an agreement with the CU and are still making the agreed payments then I would be contacting the CU asking why they are selling off your dept.
If you do start communicating with the Debt collector I would only contact them via post and don't give them your phone number.

How much is the loan for?

19,153.10 I tried contacting CU yesterday, left a voicemail ,still waiting for them to make contact. Should I wait to speak with CU before contacting Debt collector? & am I within my rights to ask CU for all payment documentation made by me?

I believe that your CU would only send the loan for collection if they felt you were not living up to an agreement or that you had potential to repay more. One problem is that your agreements are verbal. You need to re-engage with the CU to try and get a written agreement on your loan repayments.

Had 3 or 4 debt collectors after me at different times. They're normally easier to deal with than the original creditor, in my opinion.
Offer them less money per week or month than you are currently paying.

I've already stated that I am & have been living up to my agreement without a single unbroken payment. They have already taken the payment for this month (March)

I have been faithfully paying off a CU debt by means of a monthly direct debit as verbally agreed with the management. This arrangement has been operating now for a number of years with consistent unbroken payments. However this morning I received in the post a letter from a Debt Collection Agency who are now apparently handling my file asking me to contact them regarding same.
Just re-read this bit - I smell a rat. Unless you hear otherwise from your credit union, I'd assume it's a scam, and do not correspond with them in any way.

Until all this is sorted, the only communication you trust is when you call the credit union on their official phone number (check their website, don't trust the phone number printed on a letter). Better again, make an appointment and turn up in person if possible. If they call you, take the caller's name and politely tell them that you'll call back on the official phone number.

Just re-read this bit - I smell a rat. Unless you hear otherwise from your credit union, I'd assume it's a scam, and do not correspond with them in any way.

Until all this is sorted, the only communication you trust is when you call the credit union on their official phone number (check their website, don't trust the phone number printed on a letter). Better again, make an appointment and turn up in person if possible. If they call you, take the caller's name and politely tell them that you'll call back on the official phone number.

Trasneoir I am going to contact CU again this morning ,however I just received a phone call on my mobile (went to voicemail) which leads me to believe they got my no from the CU.I'm really at a loss as to why they didn't even inform me that they were passing on the Debt. I know I am only paying a small amount but it is all I can afford. I'm losing sleep over this :(

I have just spoken to a member of CU. She has informed me that they have transferred all debt to this Dept collection agency for the moment? When I asked why my Debt was transferred when I have kept to my agreement ,all she would say is I need to ring the number on the letter & speak to them. I said no disrespect intended here but I would like to speak to credit control or make an appointment,& was informed the CC was out sick & they didn't know when she would be back........I informend her that the credit union still took my payment for March & who exactly am I paying? She said ring the number on the letter you received.....What do I do Now

Call in and demand to speak to the CU Manager. Does the CU have a website, is there any reference on it to Debts being passed to DCA on there?
It's certainly raising alarm bells that all debts have been passed to the DCA, maybe ring the Irish League of Credit Unions and see what the policy on this is?

Need some urgent advice on the following issue. I have been faithfully paying off a CU debt by means of a monthly direct debit as verbally agreed with the management. This arrangement has been operating now for a number of years with consistent unbroken payments. However this morning I received in the post a letter from a Debt Collection Agency who are now apparently handling my file asking me to contact them regarding same.
What I am paying is the maximum I can afford and we are living on social welfare payments my husband is an OAP 76yrs old...while I an 60 years of age. There is no possible way I can increase the monthly payments being made and these people are expecting me to contact them in the morning. Can anyone offer any advice as to how I should approach this when I do make contact and what power do these organisations have to enforce another situation, thank you,
I know lots of people who got these letters from the same credit union,St.michaels in blackrock.When the cu was contacted the credit controllers were 'out sick'.I think they're screening calls.Im in the same situation,I have a verbal agreement to pay so much a month and I have not missed a single payment in more than 6 years.I am going to complain to the financial ombudsman,I didn't receive one call or letter in the last 6 years from the cu.I wouldn't deal with that company,keep paying the cu.

I made contact again with CU this morning & told them I will not engage with the Debt collection agency until I speak with the Credit controller in credit union. I made reference to the fact that the Debt Collection states that I owe 19,153.10 which was stated in their letter to me. However I have a statement from credit union going back to Aug 2013 stating my balance is 10,500 (give or take a few pence) The payments have been maintained since this period. How could it jump so much in 18 months??? I'm totally perplexed by this. When my verbal arrangement was made I asked if the interest could be suspended to give me a chance to clear the loan & that was agreed. I asked to make an appointment to discuss what's going on as I have been with this same CU over 25 yrs,& felt the very least they could have done was write & inform me that they were going to transfer my debt. But they keep referring me back to the DC agency?I forgot to add that I have received several phone calls from DCA to contact them urgently.Can they just issue a court order if I dont engage with them?

It sounds like that credit union is in financial difficulties.

Really dreadful customer service considering OP is with them over 25 years. OP don't give your tel number to this debt collection agency or they will hound you. Is there anyone you can contact about this carry on within the credit union? I would be threatening to ho public if they don't arrange to a meeting with you. That's probable the last thing they would want. Any sniff of financial trouble and they maybe a run on its doors. You really are being treated very badly.

CU already gave them my number... The calls have started since Wed . I am letting them go to voice mail. They have sent a text in Capitals asking that I contact them urgently

I also received one of these letters and a text from Cabot Financial, in relation to my loan from Blackrock Credit union, which I'm paying back by standing order. The thing that annoys me is, why didn't they contact me if they were not happy with the repayments, absolutely appalled at their behavior. I will seeking further advice on this one, as far as I know debt collectors have no authority, they rely on scare tactics to get the money. Keep paying the credit union as that is who your debt is with.

It really sounds like the credit union is in trouble and has taken action based on pressure from the financial regulator or whoever governs the credit unions.
I don't know if ordinary members can call for an EGM (Emergency General Meeting) but it should be possible.

19,153.10 I tried contacting CU yesterday, left a voicemail ,still waiting for them to make contact. Should I wait to speak with CU before contacting Debt collector? & am I within my rights to ask CU for all payment documentation made by me?

Change your number, take out the old sim card, it will go dead if anyone tries to ring it. A nuisance yes. but what is the alternative? these people harassing you at all hours of the day and night. You are entitled under the FOI to request all info they hold on you. You should definitely try and speak to someone in the credit union and if you have to make contact with the debt collector, insist they do it by mail, that way you have a record of all communication.

Back