Crackdown on Prov License Drivers - Will it stick?

The Goverment are to blame for this mess.

The problem would be easily solved if the Goverment ensured that Provisional Drivers Licence holders sat their tests within a guaranteed period of receiving the licence e.g. six months. This would allow them to take driving lessons and upskill.

Driving test inspectors don't fail someone who deserves to pass! Drivers who fail their tests should never be allowed to drive unaccompanied. Failure to pass a driving test is an indication of incompetency. This a basic fact that holders of repeat provisional drivers licences ignore for their own convenience!

The argument that people who need cars to get to work, or for whatever other reason, should be allowed drive unaccompanied when unqualified to drive defies logic! They may believe that they have a right to make a judgement regarding their own safety, but, they have no right to make that judgement when it potentially affects the safety of other roadusers.

Many years ago, the inconvenience of having to commute to work on public transport motivated me as a school leaver to pass my driving test as soon as possible. My parents would not allow me drive unaccompanied and unqualified. I would never admit it then, but, they were right! The accelerator was my favourite pedal! While passing the test did not make me a good driver, preparing for and sitting the test did force me to embrace good driving habits and to become aware of the rules of the road and safe driving methods. The argument whether I have remained a good and safe driver at all times is a different argument.

A dedicated highway patrol to compliment the penalty points system and more cameras would keep a lot of us drivers, both qualified and unqualified, in check.

Many people standing on soapboxes on this issue need to look at their own driving. Drive on the M1 from Louth to Whitehall any morning and it is obvious that non-L-Plate drivers far outnumber L-Plate drivers in terms of dangerous driving - tailgating and lane weaving at high speed, undertaking on inside lanes, refusal to indicate when changing lanes, refusal to look in inside (passenger side) wing mirrors when moving to an inside lane, refusal to queue by forcing their way in front of drivers already queued on exit lanes e.g. the M50 turn-off, fog lights permanently on, using mobile phones (I saw one middle-aged guy in a black BMW 5 Series 07D typing on a Blackberry!) by hand when driving, general agressive bahaviour etc.

Well I'm out of the country at the moment - has there been any change in traffic on the roads this morning? Or is it business as usual as suspected? I know the 2nd prov drivers have been given until June but I presume the other 300k are in trouble (to include me when I come home!)

carpedenm, if you apply for a test up on till two weeks a go you would get a test date within 6 months in most test centres. The problem is people do leave it until the last minute to apply and hence why the 2nd prov licence is only valid for a year. It's all down to being as nice as possible to people.

It's not working, so things had to change. Every week there is people on the news/ papers complaining about the government not doing anything to save lives, now they do and there is still uproar. You have to start somewhere.

I hope they do enforce this and the fact that all "L" drivers will have to have a fully licenced driver with them at all times. It might help the grid lock on the roads if we got rid of 1/3 of the people driving on the road.

Think about it 17 and 18 year olds have cars going to secondary school blocking up roads around towns, they hardly need cars do they?

That man in the 07 BMW might only have a prov licence, you don't know. Most people that drive on motor ways that are "L" drivers don't carry plates to hide the fact there learner drivers.

Zero tolerance. The only way.

And how long will they be now? It will be a mess....

This is hardly the governments fault.Its the fault of all the PL holders who havent applied for their test todate and are now in a panic to get it done.

If the PL was used correctly then the number applying for the test wouldnt be affected as those holding this licence would have already applied.
People seem to forget the object of the licence is to enable the holder to learn to drive, apply and sit the test within a 2 year period. Thats hardly unreasonable.
Used correctly it would realistically allow the holder to sit the test 3 times, with 6 month waiting periods, before it expires.

I do agree with most of Carpedeum's comments but i dont agree that it is the governments fault, these are adults we are talking about and they have to take some responsibility.

I also think its very difficult to comment on the driving skills of L and qualified drivers as, as MR2 said many drive without the plates. I wouldnt say that L drivers are less skilled or cause more accidents, all i would say is that they havent proven their competency.

If they create/allow a situation where 400,000 people suddenly apply for a driving test on one weekend, i'd have to say let them deal with the mess...

In an ideal world everyone would have to re-sit the test every say ten years - this would most definitely raise driving standards and would, dare I say it, take an awful lot of appalling drivers off the roads. We should also make re-sitting the test mandatory for all offences carrying over a certain number of penalty points - two maybe?

If they create/allow a situation where 400,000 people suddenly apply for a driving test on one weekend, i'd have to say let them deal with the mess...
In fairness to N. Dempsey, these 400,000 should have already applied as soon as they got the first or second Provisional.

I would class it as "foolish" to be granted any Prov. Lisence and not bother appying for the pratical driving test immediately afterward because all you would be doing is storing up trouble for youself, trouble such as this. From reading this thread, I come to the conclusion that some people are under the delusion that you can drive around on a Prov for the rest of your life...ehem. - If you got the full license you may even get more respect from the Gardai and/or other road users in times of adversity.

If we're getting all provisionals off the road IMO the only reasonable way to handle it is to call for a test EVERYONE who has a provisional licence and owns a car (presumably data is easily available) - with notice being given several months in advance.

This will eliminate the problem of people not going forward for the test themselves, and also give time for preparation.

The tester will have to make a decision based on whether he/she believes the driver is safe enough to be allowed on the road on their own.
Any nit-picking involved in the current test structure will have to be sacrificed in favour of common sense.

If the person fails the test they are banned from driving and will have to take another test which needs to be available reasonably quickly.

And when all that is done track down all the people who got the licence in the early 80's without sitting a test and make them do a test too.

And when all that is done track down all the people who got the licence in the early 80's without sitting a test and make them do a test too.
I agree! - Most people on here who bought their licenses are really quick to judge and blame other people on Provs for the carnage on the roads.

Just retest everyone every 10yrs and do a refresh online theory test every 5yrs.

Also sack who ever is in charge of signage, signals and road markings, and get some who knows what they are doing to redo them all.

Just retest everyone every 10yrs and do a refresh online theory test every 5yrs.

They can't even manage to test everyone once!

How about replacing all the roads with a rail system. That would be good! Make it free too.

Amazing how this thread completely died soon as Noel deferred the law enforcement. :)

Guess we'll see this thread alive in late June...:D

certainly looks like it:
[broken link removed]

anyone remember a few years ago where the govt put off hiring a private testing company because some "surplus" staff from the dept of agriculture were going to do the job?

[broken link removed]

makes for amusing reading....

There's not much more to say now really except wait and see if/how they will get everyone tested. Something tells me there will have to be another extension come June. My (2nd prov) licence is valid to August, but if I'm not tested (and passed) by then, I'll probably have to get one of those poxy learner permits. And take my chances at not being stopped by a guard somewhere.

Edited to add: Just checked the wait time on the RSA website; it is down to 11 weeks from 26 weeks when I last looked. Big drop in a very short time.

That makes perfect sense to me, whats the point of an inebriated fully licensed driver in the car with someone on a learners permit?

I think it's silly....what difference to the actual driving of the car can a fully licenced person sitting beside the provisional driver make....drunk or sober?

I think it's silly....what difference to the actual driving of the car can a fully licenced person sitting beside the provisional driver make....drunk or sober?

Because as a learner driver you are supposedly 'under instruction' - I would expect anyone instructing to be sober.

The fact is that a full (pun intended!) driver is not a driving instructor and in my opinion, it is a silly rule.

Back