costs of renovations for 60-year old house

P

Protocol

3-bed mid-terrace, 60 years old. Not modernised.

Anybody any ideas for how much to:

1 Re-wire? I guess 5k.

2 Install Central Heating? I guess 10k.

3 Update the plumbing? I guess 5k.

I may be totally wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.

Some renovation prices

Hi there, just in the middle of less significant renovating a 30 year old, 4 bed with (conv attic and garage) house, and here are some prices that might prove useful.

Rewire to include hardwired firealarms on 3 floors, replacement of old fuse board with modern trip swicth box, external plug, TV cable in two rooms, Phone points in 3 rooms, cost 7500. We didn't go overboard on the plugs, and would have included more in hindsight, so don't skimp on that.

Plumbing - replace gun barrel piping in central heating system with qualplex (sp?)/cooper, and convert to gas from oil, replace/add 4 rads, replace shower and shower door. Cost 7700.

Can't help with the rest, but hope this helps a little. Some hidden costs are plasterer to plaster the chased walls etc. around 300. Painting ceiling after plumbers leaked contents of old cylinder all over the upstairs 100. I'm sure there are more I haven't come across yet.

renovations

I did this some years ago so I can’t comment on today’s prices, but one thing you appear to have left off your list is the cost of repairs needed for possible rising damp and dry rot. You should be able to identify rising damp from bubbling on the plaster but you will need to lift carpets, etc. to check for rot on the floorboards. If you find any you should lift a board to check out the condition of the joists. So these are potential extra costs. When re-plumbing you should check if the pipe from the house to the mains is lead, in which case you will need to replace it. You should also replace any old iron water tanks as these rust away. Depending on the orientation of your house it may also be worth your while to put a velux window at the back over your landing to give more light. Remember that builders with their own insurance are much more expensive than those without. If you hire uninsured builders you should check what coverage, if any, your household insurance gives you for possible liability claims.

I am (hopefully) weeks away from renovating a 60 year old house - 2 bed terraced. My place is a good bit smaller than yours

My costs are:
Re-wiring (including chasing and making good) - under 3k
Burglar alarm - 600
Gas Central heating - 4,500

I did not need to update the plumbing just yet except for taking out a toilet and plumbing for a washing machine - 200.

If you want to have a chat about it - I know I wish I knew then what I know now - I'd be glad to give you some names and advice.

Well ...

Anon,

What I would luv to know is where to find a plasterer that will turn up to do the Euro 300 job

Congrats & top marks to you for finding one

eDog

Re: Well ...

Don't mention the WAR! The reason I put "hopefully" in my previous post is that I need to get my livingroom skimmed. I'm on the verge of getting a number from a guy at work who is getting a job done today. I think plasterers don't know how to answer their phones - it must be something to do with plaster in one hand and the trowel in another...

The house is two weeks away from being finished - once I get a plasterer!

Plasterer

Would be happy to recommend our plaster. Don't his details to hand but will find and post them.

During re-wiring we didn't realise that there was so much plastering and though we could manage ourselves, so it was last minute before we discovered we needed a plaster. He was recommended by a friend, we called him on a Thursday, he came and plastered the house on Saturday, did a good job, and we only met him a week later to pay him. We have subsequently discovered we have dodgy plaster all over house, and he just finished skimming two rooms for us (3 walls per room, one large, other small) and it cost 600. Very pleased with it. So I'd highly recommend him.

Re: Plasterer

I'd really appreciate it of you could pass on his details. Thanks.

Back