Cost to build a house?

Price to build in 2010?

I know probably asked before but what is now the average price per sq ft to build in 2010?

All comments very welcome. ty:)

i am currently getting estimates for a build ranging between 95 and 163 Euros per Square foot . Long live the Celtic Tiger its sure aint dead yet

Hi Jumper,

What part of country are you seeing those prices?

Thx

can some1 tell now how much it is to build a house. Would It now be half the price that it was when this thread started

can some1 tell now how much it is to build a house. Would It now be half the price that it was when this thread started

Rates for building have dropped but I think you will need to give more information, what type of house, what sq footage, what part of the coujntry are you in?

We went direct labour over the past twelve months and are just moved in. Ball park figure is €57.50 per square foot including everything.

Get three quotes for everything...then decide the value of the job to you. Offer the job to the preferred supplier at your price, forget about taking what they throw at you. That day is GONE. If they don't like what you are prepared to pay, let them walk.

At the end of 2007 we got a quote for building the house at €112.50 per square foot. The Celtic Tiger only lives on if you let it. We got great satisfaction telling some of the folks to take a hike with their quotes. You work too hard to earn the money to give it away. Don't be lazy about negotiating the price.

We went direct labour over the past twelve months and are just moved in. Ball park figure is €57.50 per square foot including everything.

Good information there...can I ask what part of the country you are in?

Sunny south east, Wexford/Carlow, but the best value was from Dublin suppliers in the fit out part of the build. We used local folks for the structural build.

hi claire,

how big was your house that you built? Bungalow, two storey?

Thanks
Rusty
Sunny south east, Wexford/Carlow, but the best value was from Dublin suppliers in the fit out part of the build. We used local folks for the structural build.

Just finished building our house in Westmeath. Its 3900 sq ft and cost €330,000.00. Its a timber frame with high spec finished (triple glazed, natural slate, solar panels) and a fairly complicated design. That price includes for finishing it inside with solid timber floors, carpets, stoves, fireplace, curtains, kitchen (solid inlaid with quartz countertop). The house was built into a steep hill so there was considerable groundworks involved. We used a builder as it worked out around same price as direct labour with none of the hassles. We had an excellent builder who did not charge us for any extras and even gave us money back on areas he saved. Worked out at €85.00 p/ sq ft. Not bad when the cheapest quote i got in 2007 (when we 1st applied for planning) was €395,000.00 and did not include finishes.

House prices vary from town to town and county to county. But around €100 per sqft is a good guidline for a new build. Get yourself a good builder and your sorted. If you are doing direct labour make sure you put the time and and vet every tradesman working on your house and be there and make sure what they are doing is correct and right. If you dont know what is right or wrong bring in a project manager to oversee the job and pay him a week wage to do so.

There are loads of areas where you can save money now on building materials aswell so search the web and you will make savings. If you put the time in in prearation you will pull back on the sqft price in no time.

Build4less

New build at 2011 prices?

I was wondering if anyone could give me an estimate of house build prices for this year or last year?
I am hoping that costs have come down since the previous postings on this subject.
I am building a 2 storey house of around 3200 square feet or 300 square metres, including a double garage in Donegal.
The finish will be good, but all I am looking for is a square footage cost, and to know whether it is inclusive or exclusive of VAT.
Thanks to everyone and happy new year!

Check out the building costs on the SCS website - [broken link removed]

Get a good bill of quantities done up from the plans by a quantity surveyor and put it out for three to four quotes from builders.

One thing I will say I have a friend who built and moved into a similar size house last year and she says its very big for cleaning, heating etc. Just an aside note.

Back