Cost of snagging?

rebeller

Hi, Am currently considering buying a 3 bed, new-build terraced house. I have engaged the services of an engineer (recommended by a work colleague) to carry out a structural survey of the building and snagging (including checking that snag list items have been completed). He has given us an estimate of €500 to carry out the above work. The house is a 3-bedroom terraced structure of around 96 square metres. I have no objection to paying someone to do a good job but my impression is that €500 is excessive for the above work? Bear in mind that I'm new to all this. Would appreciate any comments. Thanks.

€500 is a bit steep... Norm seems to be in around €300.
See here for instance (i have no connection with this company).

500 does sound steep.

Another one is snaglist.ie

I think they come in around the "norm" above.

I wouldn't pay anybody to do that. They take no responsibility anyway. If you know a builder, or somebody in the trade with a bit of common sense, ask them to do it!

Thanks for the replies. Would the fact that the engineer who quoted the €500 will also carry out a survey of the structural soundness (compliance with building regs, insulation etc.) of the house make the amount more reasonable? The "snaggers" mentioned above only carry out snagging work, i.e they don't inspect any aspect of the structure of the house. Our engineer (recommended by a colleague) quoted €300 for structural survey and €200 for snagging.

Back