cost of servicing Volvo V70 by main dealer

olivia

we have just had our 05 V70 serviced (first at 20000 km) at local main dealer at a cost of 270 euro which we thought was very expensive. Has anyone any experience of this?

Not Volvo, but this recent thread suggests that it may not be far off the mark.

I'm afraid you will probably pay over the odds for the benefit of an 'official' full service history. But you probably need a Volvo service to keep the benefit of the warranty anyway, right?

Did you get quotes from a number of different Volvo dealers beforehand?

I just serviced my Audi A4 Tdi (1st service at 25,000Km) and it cost over €360..That was just a basic service with no extras other than wipers included so €270 doesn't sound bad.

SOM42 said:
I just serviced my Audi A4 Tdi (1st service at 25,000Km) and it cost over €360..That was just a basic service with no extras other than wipers included so €270 doesn't sound bad.

Full Synthetic Lifelong Oil is expensive for new Diesels,
they come in 4.5L containers at about 40 to 50 euro each from a Motor Factor.
And most diesel engines need between 5 and 6 litres to fill so 2 4.5L containers are required so that’s 80 to 100 (depends on Make)
A Garage buys their Oil in big Drums so it cost them much less per Litre.

Air Filter about 10 to 20 euro (depends on Make)
Oil Filter about 5 - 10 euro (depends on Make)
Fuel Filter about 10-15 euro (depends on Make)

So DIY oil change is about 145 so far for parts but it will void your warranty

Another example of Rip off Ireland I’m afraid!

So the choice is yours, if you are keeping your car for a long time say 10 years, Personally I would (after the warranty runs out) start servicing DIY or find a Garage that can supply their own Synthetic LL Oil for less than it costs you.

I got my wife's BMW diesel serviced by and X-BMW mechanic for about 150 euros before Xmas and he uses the proper oil, and he has over 25 years experience under his belt!

Could the same be said for the Mechanic Servicing your car in a Main Dealer?
Hmmmm.

Had my car fully serviced by my regular mechanic two weeks ago for E150.00 thought it was very reasonable.

€150 sounds about the norm for a non-franshise dealer-but in this case the car is under warranty and needs to be serviced by a Volvo dealer otherwise the warranty will be invalidated. Catch-22.

CCOVICH said:
€150 sounds about the norm for a non-franshise dealer-but in this case the car is under warranty and needs to be serviced by a Volvo dealer otherwise the warranty will be invalidated. Catch-22.

They have you pinned to the wall I'm never buying a Volvo

Main BMW dealer charged the sister € 920 for a standard service including 4 new tyres on a 3 year old 318i beemer.

Main Renault dealer charged the mates wife €490 for a standard service on a 2 year old megane.

Looks like the op has got a bargain re main dealers!

€1000 for a Standard Service is absolutely scandalous!

Assuming it’s a Full Service, i.e. Change Brake Pads/Shoes, Engine Service, Put new Wiper Blades on (oh that’s hard!) Change a Light Bulb, Top up Brake /Water /Coolant Fluids, I cant understand How a Garage Could Charge MORE THAN 1 or 2 hours Labour to do a Standard Service with no complications.

How Can any main Dealer Justify 50 to 100€ per hour Labour? (So I heard on the last word the other evening)

4 new tyres could be around €500.

€50-€100 per hour is fairly standard for labour. It's no worse than what an accountant, lawyer, doctor etc. gets.

Re. Volvo-I'm pretty sure the main dealer service applies to all cars under warranty. You are of course free to get it done elsewhere and hope that you don't need to make a claim against the warranty.

I generally do my own wipers, water, light bulbs etc. If I had the facilities, I'd probably do the rest as well (oil and filters).

Looks like it's time to get a Haynes manual and a jack folks.

Anyway, back to the Volvo question-it sounds somewhere in the middle of what others are paying. Next time you need to get it serviced, think about whether you want to go to a franchise dealer, and if you do, see if there are differences between towns.

CCOVICH said:
4 new tyres could be around €500.

€50-€100 per hour is fairly standard for labour. It's no worse than what an accountant, lawyer, doctor etc. gets.

Re. Volvo-I'm pretty sure the main dealer service applies to all cars under warranty. You are of course free to get it done elsewhere and hope that you don't need to make a claim against the warranty.

I generally do my own wipers, water, light bulbs etc. If I had the facilities, I'd probably do the rest as well (oil and filters).

Looks like it's time to get a Haynes manual and a jack folks.

Anyway, back to the Volvo question-it sounds somewhere in the middle of what others are paying. Next time you need to get it serviced, think about whether you want to go to a franchise dealer, and if you do, see if there are differences between towns.

CC 4 new tyres=E500. now if you paid that you are getting fleeced.i have a top of the range sports car and i got 4new tyres locally fitted balanced etc for E300 and they are perelli's.also have a normal run around car and tyres for it are max E230 and perelli's also.

But please take CC's advice on the haynes manual.if you are getting a serrvice my advice would be to stay away from the dealers as its 70E to open the bonnet! use your $$$$ wisely and get a reliable mechanic

X-Man said:
CC 4 new tyres=E500. now if you paid that you are getting fleeced.i have a top of the range sports car and i got 4new tyres locally fitted balanced etc for E300 and they are perelli's.also have a normal run around car and tyres for it are max E230 and perelli's also.

Agreed, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a bill of €500 for getting the same done at a main dealers.

CCOVICH said:

I'm obviously in the wrong job then!:)

CCOVICH said:
Agreed, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a bill of €500 for getting the same done at a main dealers.

CC @ a main dealers anything can happen and it will end up hurting your wallet!!:)

Rather than drag the thread further away from the Volvo service, could X-Man add to the (which others may want to read as well)?

Moral of story-main dealer=expen$ive (for everything).

Back