Cork builder for renovation job

Wallaby1

Hi,
I'm looking for recommendations for a builder in the Cork city area for a builder to take on a renovation job.

We're not extending , just planning a major reconfiguration of existing ground floor area of 4-bed semi in Douglas. The job would include replacing of some external windows & doors (knocking out some block work to allow for bigger Windows), removal of wall between kitchen & diner, all new floors doors skirtings etc internally, replastering of ceilings, new boiler, insulation work, new kitchen.

Id really appreciate some recommendations as I having a clue where to start!
Thanks

No, would we need them given that there would be no new construction involved?
In terms of changing the layout the main thing would be removal of partition wall between kitchen & diner. So pretty standard stuff.
I'm also interested in moving the front door out to where the porch door currently is , as the hall is too small. Other than that it's just new floors, doors, kitchen, windows etc.
Thanks

No, would we need them given that there would be no new construction involved?
In terms of changing the layout the main thing would be removal of partition wall between kitchen & diner. So pretty standard stuff.
I'm also interested in moving the front door out to where the porch door currently is , as the hall is too small. Other than that it's just new floors, doors, kitchen, windows etc.
Thanks
Would suggest you take a drive around the suburbs and watch out for such work being done. At least you may be able to get the name of the builder involved and then make some enquiries. I think builders are very busy at present.

Would suggest you take a drive around the suburbs and watch out for such work being done. At least you may be able to get the name of the builder involved and then make some enquiries. I think builders are very busy at present.
Thanks Trojan, appreciate it

Be careful Sir, as you say you don't even know where to start so what you think might be standard and very simple might not turn out that way. Also, with all the new building standards, regulations, laws, etc, you may find Insurance companies wanting details/drawings of what has been done along with receipts from certified builders, etc, before they insure your property.

If you're changing the look of the facade, you may need planning permission. When you have drawings, run them by your local planning authority.

Make sure whoever you go with engages an engineer on that work, as increasing window sizes may mean new lintles, and moving the internal wall may require steelwork if it's load bearing. Also ensure they are fully insured!

Back