Contributory State Pension. 6 years working plus 5 years Illness benefit.

Kimmagegirl

If a person has been working for 6 years with full PRSI contributions and then on continuous illness benefit for 5 years can they qualify for the Contributory State Pension? Does the Illness benefit count as a "credit" toward a Contributory State Pension? This person is 65 years of age and is likely to stay on illness benefit up to retirement age.

Has this person applied for Invalidity Benefit at any stage?
It is unusual to remain on Illness benefit for 5 years. Perhaps it's not too late to apply.

Otherwise pension would depend on what went before the 6 years working.
Yes he would be awarded "credits" while on IB if the benefit directly followed paid PRSI

Thanks Black Sheep. I think that this person may have been on illness benefit for more than 5 years. They were never on invalidity benefit. They were on PRSI before moving directly to Illness benefit.
Does a person have to move to Invalidity Benefit from Illness Benefit first.....before they would qualify for a Contributory State Pension?

Kimmage girl,

Quote prsi number and write to Dept Social Protection , Buncrana Co Donegal and request a print out of (credits/Stamps) paid.
That will answer what different Benefits are credited for non contributory pension.It will also show (stamps) from 70,s 80,s ,90,s
I believe to get minimum Contributory Pension person needs a minimum of 520 ie 10 years.
Your person has 6 for sure and I think? will get credits for the 5.and I expect the older contributions.
If your person worked in another countryand made 10 years contributions there may be a pension there as well..

Had he been on Invalidity directly before pension age (66) then he would qualify for full rate of contributory pension. Perhaps it's not too late

Thanks. He has 30 years worth of paid stamps and then immediately on to credits for over 5 years. Can he go direct from Illness benefit to State Pension or must he go via Invalidity Pension first. BlackSheep you seem to be suggesting that he may get a pension but not a full pension unless he applies for an Invalidity Pension first?
Gerry Canning I will do as you suggest.

Yes of course he can go directly from Illness Ben. to State pension. My concern was that he may have had a short working life as you only mentioned 6 years in your original post. Now that he has 30 years plus 5 years credits he should be coming close to a full rate of pension. It should be easy to work it out once you have the statement of contributions

Back