Contract with Builders

kiki35

I am new to aam. I have checked the frequently asked questions area and cannot find anything on this so am starting a new post.....

We have our drawings and are ready to go to next stage, which is engaging a builder. We have the option of continuing to engage the architect to do the tendering process for us(costly option) or we can go it alone. We have got a builder in mind, who seems very trustworthy, comes highly recommended etc. and we have no prob trying to do it ourselves. I have 2 questions

(1) is it wise to disengage from an architect, when you really have no clue about the building process(we are real novices).
(2) Is there anywhere I can find a sample contract which we could use for a builder, to make sure we don't forget really obvious stuff (like clearing up after himself etc).
(3) The builder seems to have an architect he works with to get certs as the work is being done (cost 750 euro). Or should we find our own.

I stress again, this builder is good, we know his work, have 2 references etc and are happy he can be trusted.

1. No
2. Any solicitor will draw one up for you, but equally so will your architect.
3. Get your own independant architect/engineer who is not in your builders pocket.

Architects aren't of much use when it comes to the statics nor the legal business.To be on the safe side get an independent civil engineer overseeing the work in stages.This would not cost more than the mentioned 700€ for the builder's architect-who would be- most likely- not independent.The INDEPENDANT civil engineeris the one who would be able to check contracts, specifications and do the necessary snag list in writing. "Waterproof" as the lawyer would call it,sticking to all the legal time limits,documentation and so on.

1. architects don't really do that much after the plans are done, so don't depend on them.
2. contracts - draw up your own
3. Get your own certification

kiki35 said:
I am new to aam. I have checked the frequently asked questions area and cannot find anything on this so am starting a new post.....

We have our drawings and are ready to go to next stage, which is engaging a builder. We have the option of continuing to engage the architect to do the tendering process for us(costly option) or we can go it alone. We have got a builder in mind, who seems very trustworthy, comes highly recommended etc. and we have no prob trying to do it ourselves. I have 2 questions

(1) is it wise to disengage from an architect, when you really have no clue about the building process(we are real novices).
(2) Is there anywhere I can find a sample contract which we could use for a builder, to make sure we don't forget really obvious stuff (like clearing up after himself etc).
(3) The builder seems to have an architect he works with to get certs as the work is being done (cost 750 euro). Or should we find our own.

I stress again, this builder is good, we know his work, have 2 references etc and are happy he can be trusted.

thanks for all this - does anyone know of a sample contract on-line, that one can use as a starting point?

Re your first question - is it wise to disengage from architect?

I am building a new web site http://www.pickapro.ie where people can look through the portfolios of Dublin home and garden contractors. As part of each portfolio, I interview 2 reference customers and then publish the interviews.

Your question struck me because last week I interviewed two customers of architect Simon Hoe. Both of them independently brought up the importance for them of retaining their architect during building. Their reasons were:

1. Because he can communicate with the builders better than a layman. And if you want to change anything during building, it's good to be able to sound off your ideas on Simon before talking to the builders.

2. Lack of worry because he ran the project. He kept a very strict idea on the budget and the builder.

The full interviews are on:
http://www.pickapro.ie/testimonialspage/5205/all/Simon+Hoe+RIBA/32/15/

Just to clarify - and no offence intended - since the architect that you mention presumably pays you for appearing on your website don't you have a vested interest/conflict of interests here and isn't this advertising (for both your site and for the architect mentioned) in breach of the ? Sorry if this comes across harsh but (a) AAM has a reputation to protect in terms of being an advertising free zone and (b) we have had people try to get around the posting guidelines by posting plugs in the guise of independent/objective advice in the past.

Back