Contract template - house extension

imalwayshappy

Hi,

Would anyone know where to get a standard construction contract template for a residential home extension? This would be between myself and the builder. Or am i better getting a solicitor to draw one up? Any idea of the costs associated?

Thanks

Is their an architect or project manager involved - if so, they should draw up a contract

It is very important to be sure what is included and what isn't included in the price. Any changes will cost dearly, so you need to spend time making sure that your requirements are clearly setout - anything vague, will give rise to misunderstandings and possible costs that you did not expect

Is their an architect or project manager involved - if so, they should draw up a contract

It is very important to be sure what is included and what isn't included in the price. Any changes will cost dearly, so you need to spend time making sure that your requirements are clearly setout - anything vague, will give rise to misunderstandings and possible costs that you did not expect
I have a structural engineer involved but doesn't really do contracts. Is this generally included in a service of an engineer? Thanks

Are there templates on the Construction Federation website? I know it's a long time since I built my house but it was a standard one from there I'm fairly sure I had. Have done a couple of extensions since and didn't bother with a contract, I think there is a lot of leeway in them at the best of times and once you change anything during the build I think it kinda messes with it!

Depends of course how big/expensive the works are but a fairly substantial quotation covering as much as you can and email trail is what I like to have. Time schedules are nice in theory but seldom run as planned anyway.

I would imagine having a fully correct set of building plans in place and agreed in advance with the builder and will ultimately matter more than the form of words set down in a written contract.

Is this generally included in a service of an engineer?
No, structural engineers generally just advise on, and sign-off on the specification of structural elements. Some will also perform project management and oversight, but you will have to request and pay for that.

As @Monbretia mentions, CIF have a sample template here.

Back