Connecting a printer to two different networks?

TestLink

I have a fibre connection at home. It is split and connected to the WAN port of 2 routers at home. One router is for work from home purpose and the other is for personal purpose. I have one printer at home and I woud like to know how the devices in both networks can use the printer. I plan to give 192.168 range ip address for one network and 172.16 range ip address to other network.

I can manually unplug and plug the network cable back and forth, but looking for any other option for both network to use the printer simultaneously.

Can I connect my computer wired on to one network and wirelessly on to the other network to which the printer is connected and access the printer?

Any advice?

Can I connect my computer wired on to one network and wirelessly on to the other network to which the printer is connected and access the printer?
Yep. You might have to do some tinkering to get things working the way you want them though, because the computer is going to choose one of those connections for all Internet bound traffic and it may choose the wrong one. But that’s all configurable through network interface and routing priorities.

If the printer has both a wired Ethernet port and WiFi it may be possible to configure these to attach one of these to each of the two networks, however this would be unusual. Most devices assume connection to a single network.

It should be possible to configure your routers to route traffic from one network to the other, though you need to know what you are doing to make this work without unintended consequences.

Another option would be to attach to one network using a wired (Ethernet) connection, and use a HP Jetdirect WiFi USB dongle (or equivalent) to attach the second network.

Back