Concerns that a vendor may not be genuinely looking to sell

HouseHunter2016

I'm looking for opinions on whether or not I am being overly suspicious of the vendor in a house that is (was?) advertised for sale. The history is:

- The house originally was advertised for sale 12 months ago, at a price that was about €80,000 more than any of the neighbouring two or three bed houses sold for on the Property Register.
- They advertised it as a 4 bed house with Estate Agent No.1 for this price.
- A few months later they switched to Estate Agent No.2 for €30,000 less than the original price and relisted it as a 3-bed with attic conversion.
- In the last month they have switched to Estate Agent No.3 and dropped the price by another €10,000

An open viewing was scheduled for this weekend and the agent confirmed yesterday that there were no current offers.

As of this morning the ad is no longer listed on Daft, MyHome.ie, or the estate agents website.
However the ad is still on dope.ie (which doesn't list viewing times).

We have set our heart on a few properties in the last 6 months that have gotten away from us and the disappointment of that is disheartening.

Am I wrong to have suspicions about whether this vendor is genuinely trying to sell?

Edited to add: The agent has confirmed the vendor has decided not to sell

Last edited:
I've read of some people who permanently have their house "for sale" at a significant premium over similar properties in the neighbourhood, just in case someone is desperate \ they get a crazy offer.
This could be one of them.

Well going from 1 to 2 makes sense as an estate agent should know that you cannot call an attic conversion a bedroom as such. Why not just turn up and do the viewing and put in a bid and just hope it's taken. It may well be a bank sale and it's price is determined by idiots.

Hi Elcato, as the house is no longer advertised there is no longer a viewing time listed.
I do know what time it was advertised for of course and intend to go over there, unless the agent contacts me to say otherwise.
From the outside I fear they are maybe reluctantly playing along a bank or ex-partner.

Perhaps I've just gotten too cynical!

Househunter you need to not make this so emotional and get a thicker skin. Buying a house is stressful and there is no way around that other than to try and relax. Don't be seeing conspiracies everywhere. There is nothing in what you've described to arise suspicion. Even if there is, so what, move on. And eventually you will find your dream home.

I second Bronte's post but I would have been accused of not being really a moderator if I said it :rolleyes:

Don't worry Elcato, I saw that 'mean' post to you the other day and laughed. You're a great mod. And a great poster. Still think Burgess should bring back Clubman though. He's liven the place up. LOL.

Thanks Bronte, and Elcato too.

I guess I'm a little frustrated as we have just sold our current home and are now keen to find a new place quickly.
I'll try better to detach emotion from the whole process.

So you've bought and sold already. What is the rush? That's a bad approach if you don't mind me saying so. Unless you're living with your mother in law. :confused: You're putting pressure on yourself. Franky I'm amazed you've seen so many suitable properties already. Are there plenty out there?

Bronte, I'm not sure I understand your last post. Apologies I should have said 'gone sale agreed' instead of 'sold'.

I bought where i live 12 years ago. I have not bought anything since.

Over the last 6 months we have seen 3 possible suitable places to bid on, but our bids would not be taken seriously until we were Sale Agreed on our own home as "It would takes us too long to sell" (according to the vendor estate agents).

To help us be 'allowed' to make a bid, I advertised and went sale agreed on where I live - this only took 3 wks.

There are not plenty of suitable houses out there. I do not have the option of living with the mother-in-law.

Now I see where you are coming from. Whatever you do, don't buy until you have the money actually sitting in your bank account from the sale. Not sale agreed, not mortgage of purchaser agreed, not mortgage of purchaser on it's way, not even in your solicitors account.

Go rent for a couple of months. Put your furniture in storage and rent somewhere small and cheap that you can put up for a short while.

I'm going to ask a very important question now. Have you signed contracts?

Purchaser is a cash buyer - proof of funds have been seen. As you say, this is not the same as seeing it sitting in my own account.

Renting for a few months with pets and kids is something we have considered. However finding a rental like that is not easy from what I hear.
I can of course put the pets in storage along with the furniture (joke *ahem*).

Purchaser has paid a deposit. Contracts are not yet signed (the delay is on my side).

Back