Concerns over survey report

charlie MacZ

Recently went sale agreed on a 1 bed 2nd floor apt in Dundrum for €250,000. I've just received my survey report. Some issues are bothering me:
-Gas boiler should be replaced with an 'A' rated condensing boiler. Boiler cupboard door is warped.
-bath should be replaced with an upstanding edge bath which forms a watertight seal behind the wall tiles to prevent leaks.
-gutters not clean, gully outlets are clogged.
-water is pooling on flat roof sections

I suppose my question is can I go back to the EA and renegotiate the sale price ?

Thanks
Charlie

My advice is walk away. You have paid a no-contract, refundable "notion of interest deposit" to the EA. Get it back and go shopping elsewhere.

I don't really see anything to renegotiate? Fixing a boiler door and bath are very minor things and this is obviously a very picky engineering report (which is no harm to be honest!).

If the property is worth 250k then these things won't prevent it selling for that price in my opinion...

Some issues are bothering me:
-Gas boiler should be replaced with an 'A' rated condensing boiler. Boiler cupboard door is warped.
-bath should be replaced with an upstanding edge bath which forms a watertight seal behind the wall tiles to prevent leaks.
-gutters not clean, gully outlets are clogged.
-water is pooling on flat roof sections

Most of these issues are minor.

Your Surveyor is being meticulous by drawing your attention to these items which will need replacing or maintenance to prevent long term problems.

It will be cheaper to run a A rated boiler than the current model, replacing the bath will prevent the possibility of any water from travelling through the floor into the apartment underneath and cleaning the gutters and addressing the ponding issues will prevent any potential flooding issues.

I see no real issue here. Price the repairs and knock xK off your bid if necessary. I imagine you can live with a warped door, not change the boiler until the current one is kaput, get a ladder and clean the gutters or pay a man, the flat roof will ideally actually need replacing with a pitched roof in time as they are notorious for leaking.

If you do not raise it, you wont get it.
Doesn't appear to be anything significant other than what Bronte says.

The surveyor advised me to send it to the EA, I've also sent a copy to my solicitor. I dont know the sellers solictor yet. The seller is Hibernia REIT plc.

It's nothing to do with the solicitor, the EA is the way to go, he's well used to it. Charlie did you offer a lessor amount, you know the EA will likely do nothing really otherwise. Were there other bidders on the property?

I went sale agreed on a price about 2 weeks ago. I guess i'm waiting on a repsonse from the EA first on the report before looking at lowering the price. According to the EA there was 1 other bidder involved with me.

Any tips on how to re-negotiate a lower price are very welcome.

Thanks.

get a ladder and clean the gutters or pay a man, the flat roof will ideally actually need replacing with a pitched roof in time as they are notorious for leaking.
Is it not an apartment block therefor this is a job for the management company to deal with and is outside the sale remit as such. I would accept that you need to buy a new boiler and leave it at that (and as Bronte said that might be down the road a bit).

These are all minor points. Secondhand houses are not sold in as-new condition. Rain often pools on flat roofs and yes, they do need to be renewed from time to time but this is normal and unlikely to be your business if this is a purpose built apartment.
If I was the vendor and somebody tried this I would call silly-buggers and dig my heels in. It all depends on whether there was much interest in the apartment or not.

Back