completion on 20th dec

I agree with all your advice mf1. I just feel that the poster is probably very stressed about the situation already and someone asking where they will get the money for their furniture, after advising they put the loan on a credit card, in my mind is not good advice.

I had a very specific reason for asking about the furniture, if the original poster replies you will find out what that is.

I had a very specific reason for asking about the furniture, if the original poster replies you will find out what that is.

Why? is there somewhere giving way furnature to people with no money?

Can't wait to hear the reason for this off topic question. Are you just trying to make the OP feel worse?

We weren't billed by the our solicitor till two weeks after closing. I dare say it may be longer this time of year. Try to get the SD together for closing and sort the fees later. Suggest this to them, they may understand.

If the house comes with furniture and fixtures/fittings, then the price can be declared partly as money for the house and partly for the furniture and fixtures/fittings. There is no stamp duty on furniture and fixtures/fittings, so the stamp duty bill wil be reduced accordingly.

i already have funrniture as i am in rented i have everything as i have own home before.

but i have not found this sticky situation before the reason i have not got all the money is because also the fee was meant to be added on to my mortgage however it has not.

Much as I hate to say it, your solicitor may well close before Christmas without the stamp duty because he/she will also be under pressure from the vendor's solicitors to complete. So long as there is enough money to close they may go ahead. Have you actually received a final invoice yet from your solicitor and have they looked for payment?

Not the old split the furniture/property contracts scam to evade SD by any chance? I presume not given the new SD regime but if it is then it's totally illegal so don't go putting that idea into the original poster's head or they may end up in an even stickier situation!

My guess is that Bronte was implying that the OP would hold back money to buy furniture rather that pay her solicitor.

Contents no longer affect stamp duty at all. From revenue site:
Contents

The contents of residential property will no longer be taken into account in determining the stamp duty liability on the consideration attributed to that residential property. However, the total consideration must be apportioned on a bona fide basis between the property and the contents, and surcharges may apply in the event of undervaluation. It should be noted that stamp duty transactions are subject to audit by Revenue.
Example

House and contents purchased for a sum of €400,000, apportioned as to €370,000 to the house and €30,000 to the contents. Stamp duty is calculated on the amount of €370,000 without regard to the sum of €30,000 for the contents.

I HAVE MY OWN FUNRITURE.
they have billed me but said i need to pay it on thursday when its finalised they close for xmas on the friday

My guess is that Bronte was implying that the OP would hold back money to buy furniture rather that pay her solicitor.

Contents no longer affect stamp duty at all. From revenue site:
Contents

The contents of residential property will no longer be taken into account in determining the stamp duty liability on the consideration attributed to that residential property. However, the total consideration must be apportioned on a bona fide basis between the property and the contents, and surcharges may apply in the event of undervaluation. It should be noted that stamp duty transactions are subject to audit by Revenue.
Example

House and contents purchased for a sum of €400,000, apportioned as to €370,000 to the house and €30,000 to the contents. Stamp duty is calculated on the amount of €370,000 without regard to the sum of €30,000 for the contents.

Thanks - wasn't aware of that change (in Budget 2008?).

I HAVE MY OWN FUNRITURE.
they have billed me but said i need to pay it on thursday when its finalised they close for xmas on the friday
You mean the solicitor has invoiced you?

As a practising solicitor what I would say is that the solicitor has a duty to the bank to be in a position on the closing date to be able to stamp and register your title. Most solicitors would insist also on being paid their fees. In exceptional circumstances where I knew the client very well I might delay collecting my fees. I have been known to fall for a few sob stories in my time too. In similar circumstances two years ago I completed a purchase of a house for a young couple with young children without my fees, feeling that wouldn't be right to delay closing for them as they wanted to be in their new house for christmas. I still havent been paid those fees although I meet them regularly enough. It's not the first or probably won't be the last time I'll have been conned. So stamp duty and land registry fees or any other outlay are a must, legal fees will be up to the solicitor involved.

As a practising solicitor what I would say is that the solicitor has a duty to the bank to be in a position on the closing date to be able to stamp and register your title. Most solicitors would insist also on being paid their fees. In exceptional circumstances where I knew the client very well I might delay collecting my fees. I have been known to fall for a few sob stories in my time too. In similar circumstances two years ago I completed a purchase of a house for a young couple with young children without my fees, feeling that wouldn't be right to delay closing for them as they wanted to be in their new house for christmas. I still havent been paid those fees although I meet them regularly enough. It's not the first or probably won't be the last time I'll have been conned. So stamp duty and land registry fees or any other outlay are a must, legal fees will be up to the solicitor involved.

Thank you for your advice.

On the ball FKH. I was trying to elicit was there any other money to spare - that's all. I think that's on topic.
OP, that's a great idea to borrow the money for now. Hope everything goes ok for you on Thursday.

On the ball FKH. I was trying to elicit was there any other money to spare - that's all. I think that's on topic.
OP, that's a great idea to borrow the money for now. Hope everything goes ok for you on Thursday.

Hi
Thanks will let you know the outcome x

Maybe op had to sell her laptop to complete the sale?? :)

Seriously though hope everything worked out and best of luck in your new home

Back