Complete novice-first time buyer-viewing house

Smokeygirl

To many this may seem very silly but i would appreciate advice.:eek:
I also apologise in advance if this is already covered.
i have been renting for several years and i am about to view houses, obviously as a first time buyer.
Apart from the obvious, including local amenities,I would appreciate some tips on what to ask and more importantly what not to ask?

What is a builders finish? In this case, do you need to do a snag list?
Can i ask about possible planning permission with the house for building a garage etc?

Is there a high turnover in houses in co. galway (northside) at the moment? two houses i have enquired about were on the market for a week and already sale agreed.

Hi Smokeygirl,

A snaglist is compiled when you are buying a newly built property (usually this is an appartment or a new estate of houses). The snag list then goes back to the builders with the series of fixes required.

From your posting this doesnt sound like it applies in your case, it sounds like you are looking at 2nd hand properties?

Technically you can ask the estate agent anything really, regarding building garges etc. but your surveyor (and you should choose a good one) is really the person that will give you the correct answers regarding the state of the house, future work etc. Make sure you understand if its gas/electricity/central heating, state of plumbing, last rewiring etc.

Read the FAQ here for info on FTB, stamp duty etc.

good luck
cas

Most of the banks & building societies have booklets or info on their websites around what to look for and things to think about when preparing your checklist, e.g.
[broken link removed]

In terms of what questions to ask or not ask, I would say ask what every you want, despite how uncomfortable you may be made feel. You are the customer!

I wouldn't worry about asking "naive" questions, but it would be good if you already have approval in principle for a mortgage, that way the estate agent knows you're serious. I would not show my hand however in terms of what my budget or buying limit was.

The first thing to do is not to be rushed no matter how fast houses are selling.
There will always be another house or another estate.

Second is to decide on the area or areas you want to live in. Walk around or even better cycle (increased height lets you look over walls better) and look out for For Sale signs. It also helps you travel the side roads and cul de sacs that may hold hidden gems.

Keep a track of all the estate agents and try and get listings regularly, they don't all update their web sites regularly but it helps to keep track of houses.

Always bring someone to look at the houses with you , two pairs of eyes are better than one and a second visit often shows either defects or added bonuses not apparent first time..

Take a digital camera with you and take pics to show people.

Even if you really like the place don't let on too much.

Thanks for the advice, I am going to look at houses on Saturday.

taking the digital camera, good idea.

my friend is coming with me, as my second pair of eyes.

Will let you know and probably will have more questions! :)

Smokeygirl, just wondering why you're not considering new builds? As a FTB, you will be exempt from stamp duty (if the price is under the threshold). That's a huge bonus in my mind..!!

Ask how long the property's been on the market, if there have been any offers and if the owner's in a hurry to sell or not. That will give you a better idea about how to position yourself. Assuming you have finance in place, you're a desireable buyer, as you're not in a chain and can therefore move relatively quickly.

best of luck!

Dunners said:
As a FTB, you will be exempt from stamp duty (if the price is under the threshold).
Not sure what you mean by the threshold here but first or non first time buyers are both exempt from SD on new properties under 125sqm. There is no price threshold. In addition first time buyers of second hand properties under €317,500 are exempt from SD too.

Back