Company car/van cleaning

Pinoy adventure

Recently chatting with a contractor about cleaning of company van by employee who drives the van.

Who is responsible for cleaning of company van ? The driver of van is an employee of the company.
Is or should the van be cleaned on company time or employees time and at whose expense ??

Any thoughts

Thanks

Recently chatting with a contractor about cleaning of company van by employee who drives the van.

Who is responsible for cleaning of company van ? The driver of van is an employee of the company.
Is or should the van be cleaned on company time or employees time and at whose expense ??

Any thoughts

Thanks
Why would an employee clean the van on their own time and at their own expense.
Do they use the van outside work?

It would surely be in the interest of the company to have its vehicles maintained for longevity. They could either get the individuals to do it as part of their job that they are paid for, but during their working hours. Or get it taken to professional cleaners and that expense would be considered for applicable tax allowances for whoever paid for it, the employee or company.

It’s the sort of thing that should be clear in either the contract of employment or the employee handbook. If it’s not specified, it’s open to opinion.

There is no right answer to your original question. But an employer is in a weak position to insist that it’s the employee’s responsibility.

For me the responsibility of cleaning a company vehicle both on the inside and outside lies with the employee,
Especially if they have sole use of the work vehicle
If not then the company needs to make sure the last person using the vehicle leaves it in a clean condition for the next user

With regards to who's time is used, well I'd say if it's a commercial van that is also used for commuting it should be cleaned on company time
but if it's a car that's used mainly for commuting and personal use then it's cleaned on the employees time

As far as who pays well it depends, if there is space on the premises, then provide the employees with the equipment to clean
If not then the company pays for the use of such equipment at a garage forecourt

That's just my opinion and how we ran our fleet of 20+ vehicles back in the day, others might differ in their practices

Back