Community Welfare Officer

abbie

I am strongly considering changing my career. I currently work for an organistion (not government) as an administrative officer. I would be interested in finding out more about becoming a community welfare officer and was wondering how to go about it.

Thanks Clubman, but I think that site is more for people who are either looking for a CWO or to make an appeal that a CWO made.

Yes - but it states that the HSE is the organisation that employs CWOs so it would probably make sense to contact them if you are interested in inquiring about vacancies.

Hi Abbie

I am a C.W.O. so can answer the question you posed
The HSE or whichever is your local Health Board advertise from time to time. Relevant experience is helpful in getting on the panel. If successful, there's an 8 week training course with work experience.
Tis a great job actually, lots of variety and opportunity to have a positive influence on people's lives

Hi Anitac,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I currently work as a Grade IV Admin. Officer in a voluntary organisation - would it be harder to get into this type of work as I do not work for the HSE (East Coast Area). Would I need to complete some sort of course, i.e. social studies, before applying for this type of post.

Thanks

Abbie

The fact that you work in the voluntary sector and presumably deal with the public ?? would be sufficient without having to undertake any course. Based on myself and those who started with me, we all had jobs of some relevance but I don't know of anyone taken on with a qualification in the area. Also your administrative skills would be valued.
The HSE have a panel from which they are filling current vacancies so I cant tell when they'll advertise again. I saw the ad in the sunday papers, so presumably that's their method of advertising.
Any further questions, do come back to me
I hope to work with you in the not too distant future !

Anitac,

Thanks for all your advise and information - much appreciated.

Lisa

Back