Commercial property as PPR

Dunners

I've seen a really nice commercial property currently in the form of a couple of offices which is in exactly the location I want to live!

Just wondering how easy would it be to buy something like this as a PPR? What tax & legal implications would there be (I'm not a FTB)?

Maybe off topic but I've never really understood the 'zoning' laws.

-- What would happen if someone set up home in an office that they owned? The utilites (ESB etc) wouldn't care as long as they got paid. The Council probably wouldn't care as long as the rates were paid. Who'd notice? The only downside is that the Pizza companies probably wouldn't deliver!

-- If, say, a florist went bust in a particular location, why should another florist move in there? The omens are not good!

sluice44 said:

-- What would happen if someone set up home in an office that they owned? The utilites (ESB etc) wouldn't care as long as they got paid. The Council probably wouldn't care as long as the rates were paid. Who'd notice? The only downside is that the Pizza companies probably wouldn't deliver!

-- If, say, a florist went bust in a particular location, why should another florist move in there? The omens are not good!

Well on the flip side would you like a factory setting up next door to your house if you live in a residential area? Zoning it as residential protects you from this sort of use.

I doubt zoning is so specific as to say another florist would need to set up in the case you use as an example, it would likely be any type of retail business allowed.

sluice44 said:

Local authority planning enforcement would probably get involved, particularly if there were complaints from neighbours.

This place is definitely in a residential area - they're old period houses, many of which are used as offices at the moment.
What other implications are there and would something like this be subject to the typical buying process??

Back