comeback on car

galway_blow_in

ok i know im stupid but is there any recourse whatsoever when it comes to buying a car privately , i bought one for 9 k in the past fortnight and the cylinder head is now gone in it , the seller sold me damaged goods

Buying without a mechanic to look it over was unwise.
Contact the seller and see what transpires. Have you had a quote for fixing the problem?

i bought one for 9 k in the past fortnight and the cylinder head is now gone in it , the seller sold me damaged goods

Is it possible that any issue with the cylinder head was not apparent two weeks ago ?

Could the cylinder head have only gone in the last two weeks ?

From the Done Deal website:

A private seller does not have to provide information that is not requested

also

It is illegal to sell a car which is not roadworthy

All here:

The question is .... did you ask the right questions?

also

All here:

well if your dealing with a bare faced liar , i dont think it really matters what you ask them

also

All here:

According to the Consumer Help website, it is illegal for a dealer to sell a car which is not roadworthy. No such statement is made about a private seller.

As far as I can see ... private sale .. caveat emptor ... buyer beware ... the OP will find it very hard to have any come back with the seller.

A few years ago I bought a used car from an online ad. The lady was lovely; assured me there were among other things. 4 new tyres and drove the car half way to where I live so we met at a bus station. ...A few weeks later I was driving the Gap of Dunloe here in Kerry and a tyre blew.... emerged I needed 4 new tyres. Thankfully I had at her insistence ( she knew the car would be used for market trading work for charity) paid here about 2/3rds of the price so was able to stop the final payment. She said nothing. Looking at cars on donedeal at present and being very careful.. caveat emptor always..

emerged I needed 4 new tyres.

If you can't tell the difference between severely worn and new tires, it would be advisable bring someone knowledgeable with you when buying second hand. The likes of the AA and many local mechanics will check over a car for a small fee.

It is fair to assume the car was good value, you had the opportunity to drive the car, lift the bonnet, explore the ins/outs and drove it for over a week. Whilst hard to take the cylinder head gives no advance warning other than perhaps and not always some oil resting on the road under the engine overnight but at that you would smell that oil as if burns off a hot engine.

It is a stretch to say the seller sold you damaged goods, you bought at face value privately, you have been unlucky but that was a risk you accepted or you would have paid more for a similar car at a dealers who would have provided a limited warranty.

Get it repaired as best you can and forget about it after that, you have no recourse to the seller other then perhaps some goodwill gesture.

Back