Chimney Problem following stove installation

Fisherman

Looking for some professional advice on his......
Removed back boiler and replaced with boiler stove. Connection to existing chimney was made by pushing 1m steel pipe into the chimney (pots) and then connecting to the stove.
When the back boiler was removed the concrete flue gatherer was removed also. The pots were held in place by pushing through a steel bar until the stove was connected and then the bar was removed.
Stove worked really well until this winter when disaster struck. Sand which surrounds the pots came down and blocked the stove outlet....about a builders bucket full !
The house is single story and the chimney is about 5m . I climbed on to the roof, shined a light down the chimney and noticed gaps between the pots . It seems the pots have slipped down as the sand poured out. The pots (8") are the straight type. ie. no rebate.
Obviously, a liner will have to be inserted and connected to the stove. I am worried when the stove is removed and the stove pipe pulled out the pots will fall down .
The house was built in the 80s and the chimney is sound. Am thinking the best thing would be to pull the pots out from the roof side... but how? or, if they can be secured would it be ok to leave them in situ with the liner inside the pots. Any pro comments or suggestions?

sorry

trying to fully understand this are you saying the actual flu gatherer was completely removed from the chimney,
what is supporting the clay flues,
also putting a 1m straight section from the boiler into the chimney directly is not a good idea either
a lot of tar/soot gathers and falls between the 1m section and the clay flue which cant be removed to easy
really cant understand why someone would remove the flue starter and pin the clap flues

the correct way is 1m of steel section then onto flexi flue liner up the lenght of the chimney

just reread this again

"The pots were held in place by pushing through a steel bar until the stove was connected and then the bar was removed."
If the above is the case and I’m understand you correctly then you have no support of the entire chimney flue system,

This is highly dangerous and I advise you not to use the stove until a professional asses it urgently

The stove or its main flue pipe is not a support and can’t be deemed as a support, get professional assessment ASAP and get the cowboy who originally installed the stove

I hope I’m reading this wrong

The job was done as part of an otherwise very good renovation job. ....with hindsight, I think the work on the stove installation was due to lack of experience in that area... the flue gatherer was too low for the height of the stove which would otherwise have been located too far forward on to the floor... a steel plate was inserted in place of the flue gatherer, with a hole cut for the stove pipe to go through. I think the stove, steel plate and pipe will have to be removed and then the clay pots taken out that way..... then a liner inserted . As I said, it's single story and not a very long chimney...... wont be doing anything till after the winter as the system will have to be drained down..... wont be using the stove in the meantime

hi

good plan then to not use the stove also when your redoing the flues install a flexi flue too the stove will work better

Back