Cheap-ass (€500 flight/accom) birthday ideas for December

Decani

I'd like to take Mrs. Decani away for her birthday this year in December. She was well impressed with last year's suprise outing to Boston. Even when we got to the check-in desk she didn't know if we were going to Limerick or Boston. Good old Shannon stop-off to add to the excitement. She was dreading a trip to Tubingen which I spout off about around Christmas time. Nice little German town complete with snow at that time of year. So that's a non-runner.

I started off with Barcelona from Fri 9th to Sun 11th. We know people over there which would add to the whole experience. Remember that it's a surprise. Us two being mad into Hell's Kitchen and Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares, I thought a nice idea would be to go to London and chow down in Claridges (Ramsay's restaurant) and Rhodes 24. Yeah it'd be pricey but it would work out the same-ish after flights (€97 with Ryanair to Stansted vs €230 to Barcelona with Iberia).

I suppose I could always pretend to take her to Boston again and fly her down to Limerick ... But I wouldn't get a nice Christmas present - if any.

Anyway, at this stage I'm that excited I'm considering a third option with the idea that I present her with the Barcelona and London options above and a third mystery envelope kind of thing. The constraint being €500 for flights and accomodation. I might add that we're going to Paris/Eurodisney for Halloween so you could probably discount that too.

Can anyone come up with a mysterious, mischievous, out of left field third option! You're a software developer ClubMan. I'd imagine I'm asking for a brainstorming session.

€500 for flights and accomodation
...should go a long way if you take the Barcelona option, at a guess. Ryanair's website won't let you book that far in advance just yet, but I see Dublin/Reus flights from €20.99 each way (plus taxes) in mid-October.

Never been there at that particular time of year, but it's a fabulous place to visit at any time - and particularly if you've friends there... bit of a pre-Christmas buzz, but without the crowds.

P.S. How's the going..? ;)

Back