Chasing Bad Debts

What I mean is that many debtors will ignore letters from solicitors as they don't care.

I'm :confused: as well.

25euronote, the point being made is that if someone owes you money and you send them a solicitors letter, which you have paid for, they may just ignore it, i.e. use it as toilet paper.

You are not getting my point.
I am speaking for my self. Not others.
I dont send solicitors letters - because people DO ignore them.
I act for myself, I send a civil bill. I take legal action, If Im ignored - all the better as I will get jungement, which I will ensure is enforced.
I have represented myself in legal action against creditors and got 5 judgements out of eight. So far the sherriff has called to 2.

The point is - I have written off the money - but I will make the creditors life as miserable as I can - by persuing legal action.
I only incur the costs of the affidavitt, stamping and registered letter, all of which are tax deductable.

If the creditor chooses to ignore my corrospondance- no matter its cost me nothing and I get a judgement registered.

If he chooses to corrospond with me I will take up as much of his time as possible.

I have no problem understanding what you've been doing. But would like some more details as I find it fascinating. In the 8 cases you took other than the 40Euro cost of stamping etc, what cost was there other than that and your time. Did you have to go to court more than once for each case. How many of the debtors showed up, how many hired a solicitor. For the 3 cases you lost, why did you lose? Were the other side awarded costs and if yes how much? It can be only what are I think called scale costs so a miniscule amount so you'd win there too, meanwhile they would have to pay a real cost to their solicitor which bears no relation to the scale costs.

Maybe you could go through each case separately, no details on individual etc needed. A step by step account (sorry if I'm asking too much)

I totally get what you are doing, you are standing up to people you feel can pay but are using the system to not pay. They know most people like you who are owed relatively small amounts (my presumption) and who are very busy cannot take the risk and cost of hiring a solictior and going to court. I would do the very same if I knew it was a can pay and won't pay, just for the hell of it. 40 Euro's is small change and you get something back by hitting them in the pocket and putting stress on them. And your getting results, I think you said 70% pay. Well done. This obviously takes time and effort but I bet you're getting very good at it. It's a pity that the justice system is so expensive that most business can not pay a solicitor to take on debt cases.

I have no problem understanding what you've been doing. But would like some more details as I find it fascinating. In the 8 cases you took other than the 40Euro cost of stamping etc, what cost was there other than that and your time. Did you have to go to court more than once for each case. How many of the debtors showed up, how many hired a solicitor. For the 3 cases you lost, why did you lose? Were the other side awarded costs and if yes how much? It can be only what are I think called scale costs so a miniscule amount so you'd win there too, meanwhile they would have to pay a real cost to their solicitor which bears no relation to the scale costs.

Maybe you could go through each case separately, no details on individual etc needed. A step by step account (sorry if I'm asking too much)

I totally get what you are doing, you are standing up to people you feel can pay but are using the system to not pay. They know most people like you who are owed relatively small amounts (my presumption) and who are very busy cannot take the risk and cost of hiring a solictior and going to court. I would do the very same if I knew it was a can pay and won't pay, just for the hell of it. 40 Euro's is small change and you get something back by hitting them in the pocket and putting stress on them. And your getting results, I think you said 70% pay. Well done. This obviously takes time and effort but I bet you're getting very good at it. It's a pity that the justice system is so expensive that most business can not pay a solicitor to take on debt cases.

Your asking too much for me to go through them piece by piece. But the process was the same in all.
The cases I "lost" on, were the first one (learning curve) invoice information was incorrect.
Second one I did not persue it as I was busy.
Third one, I was owed 12k and split the invoices to get one of them into the district court - this was very interesting - as there was about twenty letters with their solicitor. Anyway the judge was not impressed with me splitting the invoice.

Bronte - you have to understand - by the time you decide to take action - you have to have decided to write off the money. If you get it - its a bonus.
However my atitude is - if you dont pay me - you will pay someone - either a solicitor or a member of staff etc etc. I am of the belief that If I can be a nuiscence - I will be a nuiscense!

On one occassion, after about half a dozen letters, I said to a solicitor "I hope your getting paid for this". I never heard from them again. A year later the company (a big building company) was wound up.

The other parties solicitor sends you a letter, a copy of which is sent to the client. You reply, "Its my understanding that ~~~~~~~", that letter is then sent to the client with a cover letter from the solicitor, (which costs money), the client replies and the solicitor writes another letter. And so it goes on.

I explained inanother thread a couple of years ago as to how the process worked in the Dublin District Court.

The staff in the four courts are more than helpful. When you get the form stamped, go to dolphin house, staff there will advise you about the process then.

Third one, I was owed 12k and split the invoices to get one of them into the district court - this was very interesting - as there was about twenty letters with their solicitor. Anyway the judge was not impressed with me splitting the invoice.

That's very interesting, I presume that nowadays you issue all invoices only for an amount equal to the District court level so that in the event of a problem you are able to sue there.

Thanks for your post it was most informative. Nice to see someone fighting back and winning too sometimes.

That's very interesting, I presume that nowadays you issue all invoices only for an amount equal to the District court level so that in the event of a problem you are able to sue there.

Thanks for your post it was most informative. Nice to see someone fighting back and winning too sometimes.
Hi,
As it happens, the work has changed ( I have had to diverse) so my average invoice is about 500 / 800 euro. I will never let invoices get up tp 6k again.

I am currently exposed to 4 builders for about 1000 each. This work was only done over the last few weeks. I dont know if these guys will pay me, but I can live with it. However I will not take on any more builders till I get paid for at least 2 of these jobs.

I have never been busier with work. Since July, I have had more work than the whole of 2011. I will start at 7 in the morning and get home at 10 / 11 at night. I know that it will be too easy too let invoices slip and customers will also be aware of this.
So I make the clients fully aware before I start, (nicely) that I take no prisnors.

Back