Charlie Birds "Torture"

D

daltonr

Charlie Birds "Torture"

I'm oviously missing something, if anyone actually bought today's Sun and has read the cover story perhaps you'd be able to fill me in.

From what I can gather Mr Bird's Torture amounted to seeing a dead body.

How on earth can this be called torture in the grand scheme of things? Given what people over there have lived through, and are living through. People who have seen family members killed, people who've had to look at thousands of bodies to find loved ones, people who are digging in the rubble to find anything they can eat.

I know Charlie didn't write the headline, but he must have known that if he was talking to the Sun that it wan't going to be good. When Journalists start to believe that the news revolves around them it's time to get out of the game. When even a story of this scale can be reduced to It's impact on Charlie then things have gotten out of hand.

Can anyone explain this to me, or have we finally gone over the edge into complete madness?

-Rd

When it's 'over to our Chief News Correspondent' does Charlie actually add anything to a story or does he just repeat what the news reader said?

I'd like to see Kermit the Frog from Sesame Street News turn up on RTE with the odd breaking news flash.

I was disappointed with Charlie Birds scoffing remarks about the Americans arriving to help the tsunami survivors.
Like them or not they are the only superpower and whatever their motives they will do more and give more than anyone else in the world.
Charlie does seem to be a bit of an institution within RTE with a kind of "IF he hasn't reported on it, it hasn't happened" attitude.

i think bird earned a lot of goodwill through peoples' schadenfreude with beverly cooper flynn's failed court case. i must admit myself guiltily enjoying seeing her lose and finding myself admiring bird indirectly as a result. since then any admiration has evaporated completely to be replaced by an almost irrational dislike. the guy is lightweight and shallow and as far as i can see uses his position to increase publicity for himself; he compares very badly in terms of journalistic skills with his opposite numbers across the water or those in america. he's a classic rte "institution": a person of very limited relevent abilities but who has excelled in political positioning within rte.

if anyone actually bought today's Sun

and would admit it on askaboutmoney, are they braver than dumb or dumber than brave? ;)

I was disappointed with Charlie Birds scoffing remarks about the Americans arriving to help the tsunami survivors.

I was very surprised to hear him practically snort with derision that evening also. It was totally uncalled for and very unprofessional. I thought that reporters were supposed to give us an unbiased version of event. I know ... that only happens in the real world ...

Maybe, in hindsight he regrets it.

Marion :hat

Charlie Bird asked to give an unbiased story ? He may be asked to, but as someone else correctly said, he never does.
He is always anti-American : it is very unprofessional but not surprising to see this on RTE. Unsupported allegations deleted by RainyDay I think it is long past time he was sacked. Why should we pay our TV licences to see him doing what he does in Columbia, Sri Lanka or wherever ?

Rabbit - Please support such allegations or avoid them

Rabbit, in the clear light of day , I would advise you to re-assess your statement or else call on the moderators to lock this post, litigation is beckoning.....:mad

Back