Charity shop buys treat as donations?

ninak

I was recently on my local charity shop and overheard the teller informing a lady who was purchasing items that she should keep her receipt, which has details of the charity and it's registered number, and the amount tendered, as she can claim tax back on the amount on her tax returns as it is treated as a donation to the charity. Is this accurate?

Not really, if you give more than 250 p.a. to a charity and you are a taxpayer then the charity can get back the tax you would have paid on the money if you fill in a form. So for example to pay 250 net to a charity you would have to earn 320ish gross, as you gave this money to charity it is no longer considered your money so you are not liable for the tax on it so the charity can claim back the tax you would have paid (that example is on 20% tax, it's That's kind of the gist of it, similar to a deed of covenant but as far as I know it's no extra tax relief to the giver.

Oops, looks like this is even gone now :)

I was recently on my local charity shop and overheard the teller informing a lady who was purchasing items that she should keep her receipt, which has details of the charity and it's registered number, and the amount tendered, as she can claim tax back on the amount on her tax returns as it is treated as a donation to the charity. Is this accurate?

She's talking nonsense. It's a condition of the charities tax refund scheme (claimable as above only by charities and not by individuals) that payments for goods, services or other benefits (including eg raffle tickets) are excluded from the claim amount.

Cheers, that what I thought! Thanks for confirming it. I knew the relief had changed a few years back, but just wanted to check I was not missing something!

Back