Changing Multitrip Insurance Provider & Deferring New Policy Start Date

dublinwoman72

I have a one year Multitrip travel insurance policy that runs out in June 2024 this year. I am planning to go on a "trip of a lifetime" in November 2024 but my current insurance provider does not cover the cost of this trip or the adventure sports involved, so I need to change provider. I am at an age in life where health issues can crop up. The new policy will be quite costly as its a high level of cover. The cost of one year cover is only slightly higher than single trip cover. I plan several other short trips including in one months time so Multitrip cover make sense.

Just wondering if I should start the new one year policy right now, or take it out now with a start date from June 2024, (when the existing policy runs out) so I have cover from June 2024 -May 2025 inclusive and no dual insurance?

What I'm wondering Is if you take out a new policy now with a deferred start date, if something happens health wise in the meantime, am I still covered for my November 2024 expensive trip?

Thank You In Advance for any advice.

When I looked at this myself before, for Multi-Trip insurance you needed to have cover active pretty much from when you had booked rather than when trip starting. My understanding was that you would not be covered in something happened before your cover started.

Whereas single trip insurance, you could have it covering just that holiday period and if an incident occurred between now and then you would be covered. But you'd need to check the small print of the particular policy to validate that.

If the current insurer offered cover for the cost of the planned trip, then waiting to move might have made sense. Given the fact that they don't, you should take out cover as soon as you pay for the trip to ensure you have cover for any health issues that might prevent you going or any failure of the travel providers.

Back