Changed from paid weekly to monthly - without notice

Plek Trum

Hi all,
looking for advice please. Various issues at work of late and many changes, 2 members of staff and we have gone from full-time to part time employment in the last month (22 / 28 hour week on rotation)

My employer told me casually at lunch time, not in staff meeting and not with other staff member that we will be paid monthly from now on. We have been paid weekly since day one of employment (17 years and 9 years each). My contract states I am to be paid weekly (other staff member refused to sign the contracts when they were bought in 2 years ago).

I am barely getting by on part time wages as it is (mortage, loan, childcare etc) and certainly cannot survive a month with zero income.

Is this legal?

I have asked for 2 months notice before it is bought in so I can try and borrow money / secure a loan. My employer said no, I gave you notice already (it was mentioned casually as a possibility in the future as we closed for Christmas before the break) but in no shape or form were we given notice as to its implementation.

Small private owned company, no HR, no manager, no line referral etc. Employer is the owner.
I am seriously worried about what we will live on and extremely stressed. If there is any advice or standing I can take I would appreciate it. thanks

Last edited:
I don't know about the legalities of the situation, except to say that they are treating you badly! I have a friend in a (broadly) similar situation. In spite of the fact that she works for a large multinational, and the fact that the situation has gone to court and she has won, she has not been paid in nearly a year. No matter how right you are, it does not mean you will get anything from them. Do you know if there is much work available outside this company? It sounds like it is time to move on, sadly.

Thanks for that - it seems incredibly unfair, however "unfair" doesn't usually have the same standing as "illegal". Has anybody any definitive answer? It's in my contract to be paid weekly, but this has been breached repeatedly already on previous occasions and other matters. Rural area, high unemployment - new job not an option I'm afraid .

In the morning ring NERA 1890 80 80 90, they will have the answer.

Whether knowing what should happen will help or not is another story.

Thanks for that - it seems incredibly unfair, however "unfair" doesn't usually have the same standing as "illegal". Has anybody any definitive answer? It's in my contract to be paid weekly, but this has been breached repeatedly already on previous occasions and other matters. Rural area, high unemployment - new job not an option I'm afraid .

Oh my friends situation was completely illegal, open and shut case, 100% illegal. She still hasn't seen a penny. (I think it's under the payment of wages act, I don't have access to it at the moment)

Last edited:
This is a change to your T&C's (assuming it is written into your contract that you are paid weekly) and can only be done with your consent. The problem now is what will your employer do about it. He may not even be aware that he should not be doing this without your consent. Suggest that you tell him that he legally cannot do this without your consent but that you are happy to sit down and agree the best way to implement this. Perhaps a move to fortnightly first for a couple of months and then monthly after that?

I have a fair idea that you can be changed to monthly salary from weekly/fortnightly without your consent. At least, during my lifetime in several public service jobs my wages were changed monthly to fortnightly and weekly to monthly without my consent but with longer notice. I can see the pitfalls you are undergoing, but let's face it you are still being paid. It might not be in your best interests to fight it.

Back