Change Name when emigrating to avoid creditors

as the debt must be unsecured to avail of bankruptcy).
No this is not correct. Forget bankruptcy. In your case and given your intentions it is not necessary.
Have a good time in Canada!!

Sounds good, my plan is to get an apprenticeship in Canada so it's not outside the realms of possibility that I could have 250k saved within 10+ years. They might come after me then no?

Stopped making payments in 2006, at the peak of the boom... when there was no such thing as unemployment..!! Go off and enjoy Canada OP, we'll take care of the mess here for you!

A relative of mine is currently in Canada and is in the process of selling his house in Ireland and hoping to get the residual debt written off. Has no other assets and does not intend to return to live in Ireland for a numver of years.

Mortgage is with BOI for approx 220 outstanding and sale has been agreed for 150. Up until point of sale agreed all rents were handed over to the bank but tenent moved out once for sale sign went up.

Relative had nominated another person to deal with his affairs on his behalf. This person would have more contacts and as not emotionally involved better at negotiating with the bank.

Originally BOI refused to allow the sale of the house but have lately agreed to the sale. The residual debt being written off is still not totally settled but ongoing negotiations are taking place. House was maintained to a high standard by family to help achieve this sale price.

My relative had stayed in constand contact with the bank and been open and honest with them but felt things moved on once a third party was nominated to deal with the matter.

Stopped making payments in 2006, at the peak of the boom... when there was no such thing as unemployment..!! Go off and enjoy Canada OP, we'll take care of the mess here for you!
Sorry I was incorrect, 2008 is when I lost my job in construction.

fobs nice info re your relative thanks. I can't help but think that he'll be kept on the hook for such a little amount though.

44brendan don't they have computers to help them remember?I wonder when a bad debt finally gets written off.

Not really following that logic?

If you change your name, I think you will find that your visa is invalid because you are travelling under a new name. Furthermore anyone who changes their name and applies for permanent residence status in Canada will be looked at very closely because they will assume you got something nasty to hide.

In any case it is unlikely that your creditors will chance you to Canada even if they do know where you are..

I've worked quite a bit in the last few years in debt recovery PI. Basically helping banks or collection agencies locate defaulters and find evidence of assets. I was approached by a newer agency to work for them full time but I declined. Their business model is very interesting. They are buying debts at rock bottom prices for people with zero assets and those who have emigrated some distance. They are going to sit on these cases for many years, quietly at first till the persons have started to build a life again. They have solicitors in different big economies advising them on local debt recovery laws so they know what to to and how long they can recover a debt. Some people are due some very nasty surprises in the next ten years for sure.

You might think a name change will help you and it probably will for some situations. But trust me, if somebody wants to find you, they will. PIs have a suite of tools and dirty tricks to find people. Facebook, forums, phone numbers, relatives, ebay, forums, donedeal. Social engineering. I know your email/twitter but I don't know what country you are in. I send you a link dressed up in some believable context.
(MOD - link removed)
Boom have your IP. Most likely have your workplace or at least your internet company. The going rate is about 100 quid to get an address from these companies on the black market. Nearly every telecoms company in the world has low level staff offering this service on the dark web for a fee.

You can leave but do you really want to be in a situation that you hope you don't make a sucecss of it because it can all be taken away, plus interest and fees.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its Shocking that some-one can be allowed to live in a house for 6 full years without paying a mortgage and not have the house repossessed. Why wont those in power in Ireland tackle people like this and make them lose the assets they either wont or cant pay for:mad::mad::mad::mad:
Ireland must be unique in making repossessions so difficult

My goodness, 7 years on and no solution. And you've lived there mortgage and rent free for so long.

And the banking enquiry's first main focus is on .... newspaper supplements on property.

While they're at it they should investigate all the hype I've been reading over the last 12 months.

. They are going to sit on these cases for many years, quietly at first till the persons have started to build a life again.

Same thing happened to people in the UK after the eighties crash of Jingle mail. Banks came back after them when they were back on their feet, but just before the statute of limitations. (Your link is not working).

Ha, the link works perfectly. It emails me every IP address that clicks it and they are none the wiser. Just giving the OP a flavour of what to expect.

Nice info Tommy, do you have any idea how it works in practice - can they use local law (Canadian) to recover the debt down the line?

I've worked quite a bit in the last few years in debt recovery PI. Basically helping banks or collection agencies locate defaulters and find evidence of assets. I was approached by a newer agency to work for them full time but I declined. Their business model is very interesting. They are buying debts at rock bottom prices for people with zero assets and those who have emigrated some distance. They are going to sit on these cases for many years, quietly at first till the persons have started to build a life again. They have solicitors in different big economies advising them on local debt recovery laws so they know what to to and how long they can recover a debt. Some people are due some very nasty surprises in the next ten years for sure.

You might think a name change will help you and it probably will for some situations. But trust me, if somebody wants to find you, they will. PIs have a suite of tools and dirty tricks to find people. Facebook, forums, phone numbers, relatives, ebay, forums, donedeal. Social engineering. I know your email/twitter but I don't know what country you are in. I send you a link dressed up in some believable context.
(MOD - link removed)
Boom have your IP. Most likely have your workplace or at least your internet company. The going rate is about 100 quid to get an address from these companies on the black market. Nearly every telecoms company in the world has low level staff offering this service on the dark web for a fee.

You can leave but do you really want to be in a situation that you hope you don't make a sucecss of it because it can all be taken away, plus interest and fees.
Nice info Tommy, do you have any idea how it works in practice - can they use local law (Canadian) to recover the debt down the line?

In any case it is unlikely that your creditors will chance you to Canada even if they do know where you are..
Do you happen to have first hand knowledge of this by any chance, all I seem to be seeing is anecdotal evidence.

Back