Change from 08 petrol Golf to 08/09 diesel-potential savings?

toby2111

The wife has 08 GT Sport petrol golf 1.4,does about 15,000 miles per year and could be doing more from now on.Theres 88000 km on clock,just serviced last week.We're thinking of switching to a diesel(08/09),our mechanic recommended looking around now before it goes over 100k km cos it may not be worth as much.She wants a comfy,reliable diesel.Mechanic recommended Toyota,her family all drive Toyota so looks like thats our aim.I'm not bothered but Toyota seem most reliable.
I called to a Toyota garage during the week,saw a nice low mileage 2008 diesel Avensis,also had 2009 Corolla.Guy said I would have to put about €4500 along with the Golf for either of them.That seems a bit much to me.So,the question is-what would be the potential savings of switching from 08 Golf petrol, to 08 or 09 diesel?
I know tax is about €200 cheaper per year in diesel Avensis/Corolla.What about fuel efficiency?How much roughly might we save per year by going diesel(considering she could be doing up near 30k km).If it meant saving over €1000 a year,then maybe its not such a bad deal.
Sorry about long winded explanation!

Back